Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 1 - 0 Airdrie

HT Score: Aberdeen 0 - 0 Airdrie

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Simpson.

09/10/1909 | KO:

Aberdeen Top the Table

At Aberdeen, in presence of 9000 spectators. Play throughout was very fast, the players of both sides showing fine form. The Airdrieonians were, if anything, the more finished team during the first half, and, on play, ought to have crossed over with a lead. Mutch, however, kept a remarkably good goal, saving splendid shots from Webb, Young, and Thomson. Half-time - no scoring. Aberdeen monopolised play during the greater portion of the second half, but their forwards were completely off their game. Innumerable chances were lost, but ultimately Simpson scored in a scrimmage seven minutes from time. Airdrie rallied, and almost drew level, but time was called with the game standing :- Aberdeen, one goal; Airdrieonians, nothing.

Source: The Scotsman, 11th October 1909

As a result of recent victories by the Aberdeen club, much interest was evinced in their game on Saturday, when Airdrieonians were the visitors at Pittodrie. It was known that the result would have an important bearing on the local clubs position in the Scottish League competition, and fully 10,000 spectators turned out to witness the game. The weather was favourable, except for a rather high wind. The Aberdeen eleven turned out as usual, but Rombach, the left back, and Young, the half-back, were absent from the visiting team. Mister J. Rennie, Falkirk, had charge of the game, and the teams were:-

Aberdeen: Mutch; Colman, Hume; Wilson, Moffat, Miller; H. Murray, Simpson, Soye, O'Hagan, Lennie.
Airdrieonians: Duncan; McLay, Davidson; Wardrop, McGran, Stewart; Nichol, Thomson, Webb, Donaldson, Young.

Airdrie kicked off, and although Aberdeen made an attempt to initiate the attack, they were promptly turned by the opposing halves, and McLay kicked out. The Aberdeen right wing strove hard to force the ball in upon the Airdrie defence, but when the ball ultimately came across to the other wing O'Hagan failed to make the most of his opportunity. Airdrie made their first invasion through the left wing, and Young, after circumventing Colman, got in a fine center, which Mutch got rid off with difficulty. Lennie and O'Hagan once more change the venue, but Wardrop and McLay refused to give them much rope, and the ball was swung across to the right, where Murray tried a long shot which almost met with reward. For a brief spell the ball remained at Duncan's end, but the local attack diddled too much, and their only reward was a fruitless corner. Even at this early stage it was evident that Webb and Young were the most dangerous of Airdrie attack, and the wing man in particular led some promising invasions. After a pretty race up the margin of the field Young sent across a lovely ball, and had Webb accepted it a goal must have resulted. As it was the pivot just failed to catch the sphere, and it went on to Nicol, who punted hard, but with bad direction, and landed it among the spectators behind the goal. It was a great chance thrown away; but there they were not his heart and, and continued to wage the war mostly in Aberdeen Territory. So far the Pittodrie men had not got into their usual stride, and there was a deplorable lack of understanding between the halves and forwards. The middle line was weak in tackling, and their placing was without judgment, and accordingly the play of the front rank was ineffective. The forwards were not without fault too, and might have made better progress with less finesse. Airdrie as a whole were playing quite a rushing game, of which combination was quite a prominent feature. Colman and Hume, after the first shake, steadied wonderfully, and the left back in particular put in a lot of hard work, which turned the tide again and again. The pressure at the Aberdeen end was tremendous for a time, and three successive corners fell to the visitors. This was a hot siege, in which Airdrie were all over the homesters. Hume headed out a hard drive, and end. Donaldson delivered a terrific shot, which Mutch held and cleared with difficulty. It seemed that the strangers must secure the leading point, which they so well merited, but at last the ball went behind and raised the siege. From the goal kick Aberdeen got well down the mid-line, but after Soye had given Duncan a soft shot, Webb, who was ever keenly on the lookout for an opening, sprinted up the centre, and broke through all opposition. The ex-Dundonian finished with a straight shot, which Mutch caught cleverly and cleared, although he was almost upset in doing so. The Aberdeen left wing aroused the first bit of enthusiasm among the local crowd with one of their characteristic runs, but they failed to get the better of the defence, and a struggle ensued well out from Duncan's citadel. Lennie ultimately sent in a fine ball, and a minute later headed in the rebound, but the effort was off the mark. Once more Webb broke away, and run the ball close in. Hume was pounding at the heels of the centre, however, and the ball was forced over the line. It was Airdrie's game almost entirely, and in the course of an onslaught Nicol sent in a low shot, which Webb might have improved upon. Mutch failed to gather the ball, and Young tried to dash it into the net, but the local keeper intervened, and the ball, with Mutch and young on top of it, went behind. At the other end, Murray crossed nicely in front of goal, and in the melee that ensued Wardrop gotten up which brought the blood from his nose and caused him to leave the field for a short time. Well if they were a man short, Aberdeen had a little more say in the game, but the defence stood up to the attack well, and when Wardrop returned he found his side just holding their own. A corner resulted in Soye having a great chance. The keeper fisted out weakly, and the ball hovered about on the goal line. The Aberdeen pivot got the sphere among the crowd, but, to the dismay of the onlookers, he lifted it high over the bar. Towards the interval, Aberdeen were more aggressive, but, all things considered they had reason to congratulate themselves that they were able to leave the field on equal terms with their opponents.

To when the teams resumed, Aberdeen showed a marked improvement in every department. From the kick-off, the whole front line came down on the Airdrieonians' defence, and Lennie finished about with McLay by centring nicely to Soye, who was in good position. The advantage was nullified by a fouled given against Airdrie back. After Young had been pulled up for offside, Murray led the Aberdeen attack. Simpson showed care, skill, and judgement with an overhead kick, which dropped the sphere nicely in front of the goal. Soye got at it with his head, and made a good try for a point, but the custodian courted under the bar. It was a wonderful revival of form on the part of Aberdeen, the forwards going strong and sure in combination, and the halves supporting them in every way. The pressure on Duncan's charge was persistent, and looked like being fruitful every minute. Simpson was fouled close in, and it was a narrow escape from the penalty area. This advantage was followed up, however, and but for the timely intervention of McLay, O'Hagan would've had the ball in the net at close range. The clearing kick was strong, and Airdrie had a turn at the aggressive work, but Wardrop's final effort was just wide of the mark. Lennie was now proving troublesome, and he repeatedly got the better of Wardrop and McLay on the run. To on one occasion the winger brought off a magnificent cross, which Soye he and then Simpson failed to accept. Davidson got rid of it with a short punt, but Miller, from well out, returned the ball with terrific force. The shot was a pretty one, although a trifle high. The right wing got in a lot of telling work, and Lennie also worried the defence. Wardrop was none too particular in his methods of stopping the left winger, and the referee took occasion to threaten the half-back with the pavilion. It was very seldom that Airdrie got out of their own division now, and but for the strenuous efforts of their backs, and also by Duncan, the homesters must have secured a point. Aberdeen were hammering away continuously, but their final efforts went unrewarded. The game was drawing to a close, and the majority looked for goal was draw, when Simpson forced a corner. Bert Murray centred nicely, and amid great excitement the ball was kept well in on Duncan. It was a strenuous struggle. Airdrie packed their goal, but could not get rid of the pressure, and at last Simpson rushed the ball over the line. The visitors protested that it was fisted in, but the referee allowed the point, and the crowd cheered. This success in the last moments fired the Aberdeen team with renewed vigour, and directly from the kick-off they were down upon Duncan. Lennie tried to make the result even more secure, and then Wilson had a try. Airdrie were completely hemmed in until a couple of minutes from time, when they broke away and made a last final effort to draw level. Colman and Hume were sound, however, and after a fruitless corner to the strangers, the whistle sounded.

summing up

Taking the game as a whole, a draw would have been satisfactory to both sides. Aberdeen were lucky in the first half, and brilliant in the second. For the visitors Duncan, McLay, and Davidson offered a rare defence; the halves were sound as a trio, and Webb and Young were outstanding in the front rank. On the Aberdeen's side Simpson and Murray were again prominent, while Lennie was also good, he has been some seen to better advantage. The middle division made a wonderful recovery, but the success of the day was mainly due to the defenders. Hume showed more than his partner, and Mutch gave one more proof of his increasing ability as a custodian.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 11th October 1909

With this win Aberdeen went to the top position in the League table, after eight matches played.


In none of the League games played at Pittodrie this season has Aberdeen been so hard pressed as they were on Saturday. Their victory by one goal to nil was, we think, deserved on the run of play in the second period, though in the opening portion they were having more anxiety than has been their lot so far. The attendance was not up to the same as at the St Mirren game, but it was conlidered satisfactory by the management, both teams coming in for a hearty reception as they stepped on to the field of play.
Airdrie were without their stalwart back, Rombach, but, they had out Davidson, who is certainly as clever at the captain, though he does not inspire the rest of the ream with that confidence which the veteran does. Playing to the west goal, the 'Onians swooped down on the Aberdeen goal, a fine centre by Young being mulled by Webb and Thomson. Wide passing disconcerted the home halves, who were having a lot of running for little purpose, and the bulk of defending lay on Colman and Hume, with Mutch, the reliable, chipping in when all seemed lost. For about ten minutes Airdrie filled the picture, their eagerness to score thwarting many splendid outfield movements.
Responding to the shouts of their supporters, Bert Murray tested the visiting goalkeeper; then Lennie tried to get across a good one, but Wardrope got in the way. Soye sent in a soft one, which Duncan cleared, and the next minute saw Mutch on his knees saving a short-range raker from Webb, and then Thomson tried "Sandy" with another, which he cleverly held. Anotner great run by Young was got rid of by Mutch, upsetting Webb and Thomson in their effort to score, while the ball rolled behind.
Finding that the defence was not to be worn down by wide passing, an effort at close dribbling was tried, and here Aberdeen stepped in, and wore seen to be able to stop this mode of progress with ease. Rallying completely, the home forwards came away in great style, and their undoing was the same fault as had characterised the Airdrie forwards - too eager to get there. How Soye mounted the ball over the bar when within a few yards of an open goal we don't think he could explain. His effort, though wel meant, being reveived with groans. Aberdeen had now the whip hand of their opponents, and kept it till the whistle sounded half-time.

The second period was not nearly so interesting for the unbiassed spectators, for this reason - that Aberdeen had now got the measure of their opponents, and were seldom away from their goal, but all their shooting was like hitting a sandbank, for there was always an opponent in the way of the ball as it went goalwards. Mutch got hardly anything to do in this period, and was able to look on at his forwards pressing for all they were worth till the desired goal came.
Some doubt exists as to the legitimacy of the goal by several of the onlookers, but the referee had none and gave his award without hesitation. Aberdeen were value for the goal, for their persistency was beyond praise, and Simpson's effort to get there was worthy the point; apart from all other considerations. It was hard lines for Lennie not scoring again, his parting effort being turned aside; while a spurt by Webb went wide of the goal, and one of the most interesting games witnessed this season ended in favour of the homesters by 1-0.


Airdrie had decidedly the most of matters during the first quarter, but after that they fell away considerably, and Aberdeen improved so mutch that they deserved the points. The visitors were best served by the middle line and forwards, and their defence was also very sound. The forwards kept up a fine swinging pace, with little, or no hanging on the ball, Webb being ideal as a centre, his only fault was in getting out of play by lying too far up. Young was next best, and Wardrope kept the home left-wing in check, thongh he was not always fair in his tactics. All over, the 'Onians gave the best display of any visiting team we hae seen.
Every man jack of the Aberdeen was thoroughly tested on Saturday. Mutch saved splendidly, and there was very little between Colman and Hume. Millar was the best of the middle line, but this is no disparagement to Moffat and Wilson, who were tireless workers. Soye made one or two mistakes on Saturday that made us wild at him, but he redeemed himself in several ways by faultless feeding of his wings. Instead of dribbling for position at goal, he should let drive every time, and he would get more goals.
Lennie and O'Hagan were splendid, but we have seen them both better on the "bull's-eye" than in this game; Simpson and Murray outshining them in this depariment. They are all working well togethr just now, and we hope to see them keep it up when they begin travelling again.


Aberdeen now take top place on the League table, and on merit deserve their promotion.
Their goal record is pleasant reading meanwhile, being 13 goals for and only 4 against, a wonderful testimony to an improved defence.
They have secured 13 points out of a possible 16 for 8 matches played, which is a considerable advance on anything they have yet done.
It remains entirely with the team on how long they can maintain their present exalted position.
Celtic are the only team just now that can challenge them for pride of place, and they have a soft game on Satufday, when they oppose Port-Glasgow; while Aberdeen have a stiff thing on with Clyde.
The "A" Team had a hard game at Airdrie, and all things considered came out of the ordeal well.
They are all distinctly of opinion that the goal scored by Airdrie was a pure gift front the referee, as the scorer was yarde offside. However, it was allowed to count.
R. S. Clark kept goal for the "A" Team, and made a very clever appearance between the posts.
King had one of his fingers injured, and was unable to play, and may be off this week again.
The selection of Lennie as outside left against Ireland in the Scotch team has given genetal satisfaction. He was opposed by Templeton, the Kilmarnock flier, but Lennie secured the place by a big majority.
We are surprised that Donald Colman did not receive more support for the right back position. On present form he is as good as any we have seen, and better than most.
Scotland 'have selected a strong team all over to meet Ireland, and they should give a good account of themselves at Firhill Park, Glasgow, on Monday week.
Ireland got a bad gruelling at Oldham on Saturday in the League International, being defeated by 8-1.
The question of what is private ground is exercising the minds of the local Football Association.
The definition given is that private ground is where money is taken on admission, and the playing pitch protected from spectators.
The county ties are all due to be played before Saturday week, when some interesting games should be played.

Source: Bon-Accord, 14th october 1909

Aberdeen Teamsheet
Mutch, Colman, Hume, Wilson, Moffat, Millar, Murray, Simpson, Soye, O'Hagan, Lennie.
Airdrie Teamsheet
Duncan; McLay, Davidson; Wardrop, McGran, Stewart; Nichol, Thomson, Webb, Donaldson, Young
Attendance: 10,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Mr. J. Rennie, Falkirk
Next Match
27 Apr 2024 / 15:00 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen