Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 3 - 0 Port Glasgow

HT Score: Aberdeen 1 - 0 Port Glasgow

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Soye, Simpson, Simpson.

06/11/1909 | KO:

At Aberdeen, before 6000 spectators. The first half was almost featureless, the football being far below First Division standard. Near the interval, however, the play brightened considerably, mainly as the result of smart work by the Aberdeen right wing. Following upon a free kick close to the Port Glasgow goal, Soye caught up a pass from Moffat and scored for Aberdeen. Half-time:- Aberdeen, one; Port Glasgow, nothing.
The game went greatly in favour of the home team after the change of ends. The visitors, however, set up a splendid defence. Simpson and H. Murray formed a strong wing for Aberdeen, and close on time the former scored two goals. Aberdeen pressed home the attack in strong fashion right up to the finish. Result:- Aberdeen, three goals; Port Glasgow, nothing.

Source: The Scotsman, 8th November 1909

Port-Glasgow and Aberdeen provided one of the least attractive games of the season at Pittodrie on Saturday. As announced, O'Hagan was absent from the Aberdeen team. The weather was mild, and a bright sunshine handicapped the Aberdeen players in the first half. Teams:-

Aberdeen: Mutch; Colman, Hume; Wilson, Moffat, Millar; H. Murray, Simpson, Soye, T. Murray, Lennie.
Port-Glasgow: Montgomery; Jackson, Dollar; Colville, Munro, Lynch; Speirs, Hagan, Hamilton, T. Findlay, R. Findlay.
Referee - Mr. G. W. Hamilton, Motherwell.

Play in the first half-hour was loose and scrambling, there being little of outstanding incident to record. The port Glasgow men slung the ball about with little regard to the studied style of play in favour with the Pittodrie spectators, the rush and bustle not being to the liking of the slow-moving Aberdeen half-backs. The Aberdeen forwards several times had the Port-Glasgow goal at their mercy, mistakes and misunderstandings being frequent. From their first corner-kick Aberdeen almost scored, Montgomery being on the exact spot to clutch the ball from a dip in by Simpson from lenny's kick. Colman, hard pressed in a Port rush, had to concede a corner, but the Aberdeen lines were easily cleared. After the Aberdeen right wing had shown their cleverness and pace at the Port end, the visitors forced another corner, but the kick was badly placed. Some amusement was caused by the brothers Findlay charging each other and claiming a foul. It was a chance lost, has a shot from either of them might have found the net. Lennie aroused enthusiasm with one of his dodging dashes along the wing, and Jackson brought out a howl of anger from the crowd where ruthlessly tripping up the tricky winger. From the free kick Soye got the ball and showed some clever footwork. Three times he was tripped, and on the third attempt he fell, but the referee he did not. Wilson, the only Aberdeen half-back worthy of mention, repeatedly forced play forward, and from one of his bursts the whole Aberdeen front rank got off, H. Murray having the ball. The Aberdeen amateur held on too long and worked to close in, his short pass going to an opponent. For a time the port defence was sorely tried, Jackson doing nobly in defence. Several shots were sent in, none with much force, and Montgomery a was equal to all calls. At the other end Mutch cleared smartly from Hagen with Hamilton charging him wildly. Tom Murray almost found the net with a long shot along the ground, Montgomery holding it easily, and then fumbling and letting the ball slip behind him, although not over the line. A long drooping shot from 40 yards out troubled Mutch, who, with the sun in his eyes, had difficulty in clutching the ball almost under the bar. The Port custodian was next exercised, shots from Lennie and Simpson being cleared none too confidently. Lennie had another bout with Jackson, was bowled over, but rose like a ball rebounding, and screwed the leather across to goal, beating Montgomery, but just failing to get it inside the upright. A short stoppage was made owing to an injury to Millar, who was able to resume without leaving the field. One of the smartest things done by Montgomery was a spring out and two-handed fist away of a fast, head-high cross by H. Murray. It wasn't this point that the Aberdeen team showed some of their hold dash. Passing quickly and accurately, dashing and dodging, and always making into goal, the Aberdeen forwards shook the Port defence, and with a raking shot Simpson beat Montgomery. Unfortunately, the whistle had blown for an infringement by one of the Port players as Simpson took the kick, and the goal was disallowed. Some of the players were still disputing as to the incident when the ball from the free kick was slipped on to Soye, who dashed past the back and planted it in the net, to the surprise of Montgomery and the amusement and the light of the crowd. It was a dramatic revenge for Simpson's disallowed effort. Aberdeen looked like scoring again, and H. Murray was through and about to shoot when he was tripped from behind by Dollar. It was well inside the penalty line, and the referee promptly pointed to "the spot." Moffat took the kick badly, sending the ball over the bar, to the delight of the Port-Glasgow players. The game was at both ends of the field in turns after this, but neither goal was endangered.

The second half of the game was even more loose and scrambling than the first, there being too much reckless kicking. Apart from the Findlays, the port forwards was seldom notice to the men who caught the eye on the Port side being Jackson at back and Montgomery in goal. The Aberdeen forwards were much superior as a line to the port five, although Soye was not so quick and keen has in the first period, and Tom Murray was not proving a fit partner for Lennie. At times the Aberdeen backs were shaky, the steadiest man in the rear lines being Mutch, who did several smart things. Tom Murray missed a "sure thing" by spooning the ball over when he was uncovered close in. The saving feature of a poor game was the forcing, clever play of the Aberdeen right wing, H Murray's tricky and runs and Simpson's strong, speedy rushes and fast, deadly shots again and again a rousing the enthusiasm of the crowd. Twice Montgomery came to the ground to grips Simpson's shots on the line, having to give a corner from one of them. Port's try of the match was a fine effort by Hagan. Moffat miskicked, and the Port inside-right drove the ball with great force into the goal. Mutch, however, was at his post, and with a spring he gripped the ball as the Port players yelled "Goal!" A great save. Then an incident almost farcical was witnessed. The Aberdeen backs, not for the first time, were hopelessly beaten, and three Port forwards in turn fumbled at the easiest of chances in front of Mutch. The game might easily enough been drawn by Port-Glasgow up to 12 minutes from the finish, but then Simpson, by great single-handed efforts, changed the complexion of the game. Getting the ball well out, he gathered himself together, flew past three opponents, and with his favourite oblique grounder, but the speed which few goalkeepers can't time, he sent the ball spinning into the off down corner of the net, Montgomery, who threw himself in the direction in which he suppose the ball to becoming, being completely beaten. After this second reverse, Port-Glasgow made determined efforts to score, and with Napier forwards might have done so, the Aberdeen backs being far from safe. 3 minutes from the finish, Simpson again made the crowd roar, as he dashed past opponent after opponent, and shot the ball fast and sure along the ground into the net, his second goal being almost a reproduction of his previous one. Near the finish Mutch saved from R. Findlay. In the closing minutes surprising rallies were witnessed on both sides, and three times the Aberdeen forwards had the ball almost through, Montgomery fisting away from H. Murray, and riskily kicking out a raking shot from the Aberdeen amateur.

To the amount drawn at the gate was estimated at about £150, representing an attendance of about 6000.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 8th November 1909


The early kick-off affected the attendance considerably at Pittodrie on Saturday, while there was a feeling that Aberdeen would have no great trouble in securing the points. Lennie was again in his place, though he was feeling none too fit for a hard game. His partner O'Hagan, was an absentoe on account of ill-health, and has left for England to recuperate. This led to Tom Murray being .placed alongside Lennie, the other members of the front line being left undisturbed. The Port appeared first and won the toss, setting the home team the unpleasant. ordeal of attacking with a glaring sun in their eyes. Aberdeen. should have scored in the first minutes of the game, a cross by Bert Murray being badly sent behind, and a shot by Simpson was blocked by a defender getting in the way, while a hard drive by Lennie only missed by inches.
The visitors got away after this series of hard lines on the part of the home side, and their left wing kept Colman and his party in fidgets for some time. Hagan had one hard drive which Mutch cleverly held, and old Bob Find¬lay scraped the bar with another. A miskick by Hume very -nearly let Hagan do the trick, but Millar pounced in just in time, while a minute later he was laid out in saving a cross from Spiers. From this point Lennie fastened on to a pass by his partner, and speeding away he seemed set for a goal, when Jackson unceremoniously grassed him. A few kicks- followed, and then Bobby Simpson wound .through all -opposition and scored, but the whistle had gone for Soye being interfered with. From the. free kick, Aberdeen's centre scored the first goal of the match.
The teams left the field shortly after, and on resuming, Aberdeen had very bad luck in not adding to their total, Tom Murray sending over the bar from almost underneath it. Aberdeen's marksmanship was very poor, and what was on . the mark lacked sting. Time and again they ought to have scored, but they simply placed the ball to a defender or foozled their shot. Port were not so good this half, and when almost ten minutes from time Bobby Simpson added the second goal the game was safe for Aberdeen; the same player being unmarked, again let drive into the far corner of the net, thus putting his side three up.


As a game the play was poor, and the shooting on both sides execrable. There were moments when glimpses of combination were submitted, but it was of such short duration that the crowd became apathetic at times. The visitors plied the ball to the left wing, where Wilson did not hold this pair in the first half as he did in the second. Time and again the brothers Findlay put in good work, and were beaten by Colman or Mutch. Wilson being left ridiculously easy. The halves were a very moderate trio, but Jackson at back put in a lot of hard work, his only fault being his tripping of Lennie when the left winger beat him. Montgomery saved well, and was beaten by three unsaveable shots.
Mutch was cool, clever and handled everything in a style that commanded confidence amongst the players on his side. Colman and Hune we have seen better many times. Both made mistakes, which with sharper forwards might have cost goals, especially in the first half, but they improved in the second period. Millar was the most consistent half on the field. Moffat was good at close quarters, but was a trifle slow in outfield work. Wilson was very poor in the first period, and could do nothing right, while in the second half he did nothing wrong, and fairly redeemed himself for his opening mistakes. Lennie was not himself physically, and the support he got from Murray was not what he gets from his Irish partner. Soye was splendid, and along with Simpson shared the honours of the game. Bert Murray was clever, but we have seen him shoot better.


It was stated last week that Alec Halkett had gone to Reading. He has not played for them yet, and we got it that he is at present in Dundee, having failed to come to terms with the Southern League club.
The early starts are beginning to tell on the gate drawings. Clubs are now entering on the lean two months of the season.
Have you got a ticket for Lennie's benefit? They are now on sale, and are meeting with a hearty response. Willie deserves a bumper.
The A team came a cropper at Forfar on Saturday, and the blame is being put on the goalkeeper, who let past one or two very simple ones.
Burnet, who was tried at centre-forward vice Mackenzie, on the injured list, was not a success, and missed several easy chances.
It is expected Mackenzie will be fit this week, though it is doubtful if Harper will be out, as has been in bed all the week with a bad cold.
In a match to-day with Ellon United it is expected several new players will be given a trial in the A team.
Charlie O'Hagan is recuperating in a hydro in Buckinghamshire, and expects to be fit and well for the Celtic fixture.
There was no mistaking the fact that O'Hagan's absence from the team on Saturday made a big difference to the effectiveness of the left wing.
Bathgate having disposed of Kirkcaldy United on Saturday, the semi-final for the Qualifying Cup to be played on Saturday will now be carried out as follows:-
Leith Athletic v. Alloa Athletic.
Dumbarton v. Bathgate.

Source: Bon-Accord, 11th November 1909

Aberdeen Teamsheet
Mutch, Colman, Hume, Wilson, Moffat, Millar, Murray, Simpson, Soye, Murray, Lennie.
Port Glasgow Teamsheet
Montgomery; Jackson, Dollar; Colville, Munro, Lynch; Speirs, Hagan, Hamilton, T. Findlay, R. Findlay
Attendance: 5,500
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Mr. G. H. Hamilton, Motherwell
Next Match
03 Dec 2023 / 15:00 / Easter Road, Edinburgh