Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Partick Thistle 1 - 1 Aberdeen

HT Score: Partick Thistle 1 - 1 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Partick Thistle scorers: Smith
Aberdeen scorers: Simpson.

11/12/1909 | KO: 14:15

At Glasgow. In the first half the game was evenly contested. The finishing of the Thistle was weak, but after about thirty minutes' play, Smith opened the scoring for them. Play favoured Aberdeen from this point till the interval, and after a severe onslaught Simpson equalised. In the second portion, the Thistle played for some with ten men, and were forced to act on the defensive. McGregor and McKenzie defended grandly, and managed to keep their goal clear. Near the finish the Thistle were awarded a penalty, which Mutch saved from Wilson. Result :- One goal each.

Source: The Scotsman, 13th December 1909

The heavy rainfall in Glasgow on Saturday seriously affected the ground at Firhill Park, where Aberdeen met Partick Thistle in a league engagement. The game nevertheless was a good one, and many exciting passages were witnessed throughout the 90 minutes' play. The pitch was very soft when the teams lined up but 2:15 as follows:-

Aberdeen: Mutch; Colman, Hume; Wilson, Macfarlane, Miller; H. Murray, Simpson, Soye, O'Hagan, Lennie.
Partick Thistle: Howden; McGregor, McKenzie; Parry, Lyle, Wilson; Callaghan, Graham, Smith, Gardiner, Branscombe.

Referee - Mr. Bell, Dundee.

In the first half Aberdeen played with a slight breeze at their backs. The start gave promise of a stirring game, and these expectations were amply fulfilled, the match being fought out on keen lines, with Aberdeen showing up prominently in the opening stages. After five minutes' play the visitors scored, but the point was knocked off owing to an offside decision against Soye. The centre forward was lying behind the backs when Wilson sent in a very fast drive along the ground. Howden was completely beaten, but the referee pointed for a free kick against Soye, but did not touch the ball, but was apparently penalised for blocking the view of the goalkeeper. Play continued fast, and for a time fairly even. Aberdeen, however, held a strong advantage in their forward play, Lennie and O'Hagan leading off in several brisk attacks on the Thistle goal. Their clever movements were not relished by Parry, and twice within 5 minutes the lengthy Welshman was penalised for kicking Lennie. Howden literally scraped away a shot along the ground from Simpson, and then a centre by Lennie was cleared by McGregor just as Soye was rushing in to meet the pass. Callaghan showed a fine turn of speed on the Thistle right wing, and it was mainly as the result of his efforts that Partick were enabled to transfer play to the other end of the field. Colman and Hume were hard pressed, but the backs came out of the ordeal with credit. The right back got the better of Smith and Branscombe just inside the penalty area, and returned strongly down the field. The Thistle, however, returned next minute, Branscombe and Gardiner being prominent. The latter, however, lost control of the ball and right in front of goal, while later on Branscombe shot outside the post and he had only Mutch to beat. At this stage the Aberdeen half-backs came prominently into the game. Miller struck up a fine understanding with the men in front of him; Macfarlane displayed good judgment in his tackling and placing; while Wilson gave capital support to the right wing. The Thistle, however, set up a most resolute defence, the backs being very sure in their kicking. There were several interesting bouts between Murray and McKenzie, with the honours fairly even, while Lennie and McGregor on the opposite wing had many lively encounters. Despite the rain and heavy going, the play was of a remarkably high standard, while the pace was exceptionally fast. There was never a dull moment, the players on both sides displaying undoubted skill on the treacherous pitch. Herbert Murray, picking up a pass from Wilson, beat McKenzie on the run, and subsequently centred, the ball coming to Simpson. The latter's shot for goal, however, went high over the bar. Aberdeen were enjoying the bulk of the play, and ought to have been on the lead during the first 15 minutes, but the Thistle were the first to score. The ball was sent into the Aberdeen goal area by the Thistle left half, and although Hume had room to clear, he failed to get the ball away even at the second attempt. Smith, centre, came rushing in, and quickly fastened on to the ball, while Mutch stood helpless under the bar. Smith made no mistake, and easily beat the goalkeeper. Then followed some exciting play at the Thistle goalmouth. Lennie and O'Hagan could not be held in check, and with a little steadiness at close quarters the equaliser would have come long before it did. Murray and Simpson forced to play on the right wing, and ultimately the latter sent in a magnificent shot, which Howden just managed to stop near the post. However, he lost hold of the ball, and next minute he was seen on all fours on the ground vainly endeavouring to get hold of the leather. O'Hagan rushed in, and almost succeeded in reaching the ball, when Howden literally scraped it round the outside of the post. Lennie, O'Hagan, and Miller all made good efforts to score, a shot from the left half being luckily cleared by McGregor, the ball cannoning off his head after Howden had been practically beaten. Shots from Wilson and Macfarlane were blocked under the bar, while a long drive by Colman was cleared by Howden. Pressure of this description was bound to tell in the long run, and Simpson ultimately up paint the equaliser. Murray passed the ball back to his partner, who dribbled straight ahead, beat three men on the run, and finally placed the ball in the net, the shot striking the far upright and beating Howden all the way. Play showed no signs of falling off, particularly as regards Aberdeen, the visitors pressing incessantly. A lovely cross by Lennie along the ground so the Thistle backs beaten. Soye failed to pick up the pass, which came to Simpson. The latter, however, shot too straight, and Howden got the ball away. Three corners fell to Aberdeen, but the thistle defended in a most determined fashion, McKenzie and Macgregor ever shining. With time within a quarter of an hour the fissile forwards broke away through gardener and Branscombe. Mutch rushed out fully 20 yards and cleared, but the home front rank came back again, Hume checking Smith and Gardiner in quick succession. The fight for the leading goal was of the most stubborn description, the ball traveling from end to end of the field with great rapidity. Near the interval Partick almost got on the lead, and might have succeeded had Branscombe made the most of a clever opening made by Gardiner.

The first noteworthy incident after the interval was a breakaway by Smith on the Thistle left wing, Branscombe having changed places with the Englishman. The first named eight Branscombe a splendid chance of scoring, passing the ball nicely in front of goal, but the centre failed badly when almost under the bar. Profiting by the seascape, the Aberdeen men came away strongly in every department. Twice McKenzie got in the way of fast shots from Simpson, while Macgregor and Lyle were prominent in defending their goal during a sustained period of pressure by Aberdeen. Wilson, Thistle, put in some capitol work at left half for his side, and many of the runs indulged in by the home front rank could be traced to his judicious feeding. It was really wonderful how both teams managed to keep up such a fast pace on the heavy ground. Not only so, but the play was really brilliant at times, and it was a tribute to the excellence of the defence on both sides that no goals were scored during the second half. As the game went on, however, Soye showed signs of fatigue, and he eventually went off the field. The game for a time was evenly divided, for, although Aberdeen showed the better football neither side could claim any superiority so far as actual pressure went. Soye returned to the field, but could not last the pace, and ultimately retired for good. It was at this stage and Aberdeen suffered a severe handicap. In tackling Graham, Hume got a bad kick on the shins, and immediately collapsed. He was assisted to the pavilion, and a doctor was called in. Aberdeen were now left with nine men, with 25 minutes remaining for play. Murray was placed at right half, Wilson on the left, and Miller transferred to left back. The Thistle naturally took advantage of the week and opposition, but the visitors gave an astonishingly good account of themselves. Colman set a capital example, and it was rather hard luck on him when, in the course of what appeared to be a perfectly fair tackle, Gardiner fell inside the penalty area. The usual award followed, and there was a scene of great excitement when Wilson, Thistle, took the penalty kick. Mutch, however, saved grandly, and Aberdeen sped away to the other end, Lennie and O'Hagan leading. With only three forwards, however, it was practically impossible to beat the thistle defence, although Wilson, Lennie, and O'Hagan each had good tries. The game ended with the scores level.

The match was a splendid one to watch, and the players on both sides are to be congratulated on the quality of the football. Aberdeen were the better team, and deserved to win. All over there was a marked improvement in the team, and while all are deserving of praise, Mutch is worthy of special mention for his saving of the penalty in the closing minutes of the game.

The estimated gate £52.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 13th December 1909


If the weather was bad on leaving Aberdeen on Saturday morning, it was still worse when the team and officials arrived in Glasgow. On arrival at Partick's new pitch the rain poured in bucketfuls, and we were astonished to see any people there at all. As we discovered later on an the evening, this was the biggest crowd seen at Firhill Park this season. We were not sanguine as to how our lads would shape on the heavy pitch, but we were soon hopeful once the game started. The eagerness with which they went off spelt danger to the Thistle's defence, and but for a bit of smart refereeing, the first goal would have come to Aberdee. There was no doubt the decision was absolutely correct, but many did not observe it, and wondered how the goat was disallowed.
The home side now had a look-in, and their left wing gave us some fine work in the open, and our defence had to look lively to prevent danger. Play was wonderfully fast considering the heavy going, but the first goal should not have counted, but for one of those mistakes which will happen. The ball, instead of bouncing as it had done on some bits, remained stationary, and Colman missing it the centre dashed in and scored. It was a gift in a way, but it counted, though hardly deserved on the run of play.
Aberdeen kept up the pressure after this, and their goal came through Simpson. If there was a claim for off-side, it was speedily settled by the referee pointing to midfield. Soye seemed to be suffering towards the finish, and had to retire before half-time, which came with the scores 1-1 and Aberdeen pressing. A sudden burst by the Thistle at the start looked a bit bad, but the defence stood up and never wavered. On Aberdeen finding their bearings, thoy made tracks for Howden, Lennie and 0'Hagan shoWing class work. Unfortunately, Soye had to retire again, and chances were lost which ought to have counted.
Then Hume got hurt in a melee, and also had to go and receive "first aid" but with nine men the visitors held their own, though they had a narrow shave of losing when a penalty was granted against them. Mutch saved the penalty, for which we were all thankful. The Thistle were seldom in evidence, and the finish arrived with the weather at its worst and the score one goal each.


The game all through was fast, wonderfully so, when the heavy state of the ground is taken into account. Howden is still an excellent custodian, and saved his side on Saturday. McGregor was the better back of the two; though McKenzie kicked well, he found Aberdeen's right too smart for him. Wilson caught the eye most in the middle line, though Perry and Lyle both did good work. Th eright wing, Callaghan and Fraham, were the prime movers in the attack, their forcing runs often looking dangerous. Smith is a rusher; while the left wing did not seem to be fed to the same extent as the other side.
When we say Aberdeen had hard lines in not taking the two points, we do not think anyone present will disagree with us. The play was better than We have seen at home for a few weeks back. Mutch distinguised himself in a manner which brought praise from all who saw him. Both backs stuck in to their work; Colman made one mistake and considering he has been ill during the week, his performance was good. Hume till he got hurt, was invincible, tackling fearlessly and punting the heavy ball well down tha field.
Millar was the star in the intermediate line, and his holding of Callaghan and Graham was not to the liking of the home crowd at all. Wison and Macfarlane were much about the same, the latter showing exceptional judgment at times. Soye was weak, and felt ill most of the time he played, due to the excessive wet, which it seems does not agree with him.
The left wing carried off the honours on this occasion; in fact, we have not seen them do so well this season. Simpson and Murray were good, but not nearly so tricky as Lennie and O'Hagan. Had they shot for goal instead of waiting for position they shonld have had a goal or two to spare at the finish. We shall get at that some day.


The weather on Saturday spoiled Aberdeen from participating in a fine big gate.
There is no doubt Aberdeen would have been a big attraction in the Maryhill district, where so many of their plavers earned their first reputation in the game.
We learn that out of the other games in Glasgow, Aberdeen had the largest patronage.
All the critics are agreed that the football served up by Aberdeen was about as fine as could have been seen anywhere.
The League competition now assumes a more interesting aspect, with Falkirk practically level with the Celts.
The topic of conversation last week-end was the resignation of the team manager and secretary of the Hearts.
Sympathy is general for Mr McGhee, who made a sacrifice to take over the duties and had to bear the burden of the olub's bad performances.
The half-yearly meeting of the Hearts last week was a rather lively one, but the success of the teem against Motherwell should silence some of the critics.

Source: Bon-Accord, 16th December 1909

Partick Thistle Teamsheet
Howden; McGregor, McKenzie; Parry, Lyle, Wilson; Callaghan, Graham, Smith, Gardiner, Branscombe
Attendance: 7,500
Venue: Firhill, Glasgow
Referee: Mr. Bell, Dundee
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride