Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 0 - 1 Motherwell

HT Score: Aberdeen 0 - 1 Motherwell

Div 1 (Old)
Motherwell scorers: Lindsay

02/12/1911 | KO: 14:30

At Aberdeen. There was a crowd of about 7000. Although Motherwell gave a good display and were the winners, the home team were decidedly unlucky not to get at least one point. From the start, the home men made matters lively, but, after twenty minutes' play, the backs got mixed up near Greig, and Gilchrist on the ground managed to pass out to Lindsay, who scored with Greig's view obscured. On resuming, Aberdeen forced play, and, despite a desperate rally and strong forcing tactics by the forwards, the visiting defence prevailed. Soye was unlucky, and several of his crosses were carried behind by the wind. There was a determined onslaught in the last five minutes, but it was resisted, and Motherwell were victors by one goal to nothing.

Source: The Scotsman, 4th December 1911

7000 spectators at Pittodrie Park on Saturday saw Aberdeen suffer an unmerited 1-0 defeat from Motherwell in the Scottish League. The result was a great disappointment to the home club's supporters, and a defeat, following as it did upon a series of successes away from home, was most unexpected, however on deserved it may have been. If ever a team had luck that team was Motherwell. Aberdeen monopolized play for five-sixths of the game, yet so consistent was their bad luck and so well did the Motherwell defence play that they failed to find the net. It was one of these games were unquestionably the better side lost, but in which the fickle jade was kind to the other.


Method took up little part in either Aberdeen's defeat or Motherwell's victory. The fateful goal was got in a manner which reflected but little credit either to the Aberdeen defence or the Motherwell attack, yet it came at a period of the game when it was well merited. It was by no means the goal that should have decided the match, for Aberdeen should neither have lost no drawn. They ought to have won, but by losing paid the penalty of bad adaptation to the circumstances. The entirely failed to appreciate Motherwell's great defensive game in the second period, and, sacrificing brain work for physical exertion, they got mixed up in their wild charges, and played altogether too close the game against the side which, once in the league, concentrated its efforts on defence. Those who saw the game would be the first to admit that Aberdeen were unfortunate, and that the players even deserve sympathy for there Herculean and vain efforts to pierce a defensive stone wall built of luck. Yet Aberdeen had themselves to blame for the condition of things, the court and disaster too long, and, once in its thralls, they were very unfortunate. It was curious, indeed, that in dash - and necessary of the game in which they were most lacking in the previous two Saturdays - they were well provided on this occasion, but in good outfield work - the feature of their previous games - they were sadly lacking. The lesson of us part was that mere unorganized dash will not get goals against a class team, but if the Aberdeen on Saturday had shown more fought in their "country" work, and then came away with their dash when near goal, they probably would not have been be mourning the loss of two points to day. As indicated, it was a game in which science was at a discount. Both teams failed to realise the expectations formed in the preceding performances. The Motherwell had little credit by their victory, Aberdeen had less by the defeat.


Aberdeen started off strongly, and in the opening stages appeared to be out to win. Several likely efforts were nipped in the bud, and shots were blocked which might have reached their haven. Profiting by escapes, Motherwell took heart, and the Aberdeen defence had its work cut out looking after Gilchrist, Lindley, and Gray, who in turn threatened danger. On one occasion Gilchrist got past Colman, and was going right in to clinch, when Hume effected a brilliant tackle. There was end-two-end play, and both goalkeepers had to exercise their vision and their ability. After 20 minutes came the goal that decided the match. Nicol, the Motherwell right-winger, centred low across the Aberdeen goalmouth. Colman, badly placed, did not get in his kick, and Greig failed to catch the ball, which went to Lindley, and that player banged into the net before Greig could recover. Lennie was absent from the Aberdeen side for a time, and in that period Aberdeen's goal had several narrow escapes. The wingers return was the herald of a similar experience of the Motherwell citadel, and Hampton effected some clever saves. The Aberdeen revival proper game 10 minutes from the interval, but, after all, it was half-hearted affair, and their efforts to make progress did not flatter their reputation. In that period they ought really to have equalised, but as it was the sides crossed over with the score Motherwell 1, Aberdeen 0.

The run of the second period may be judged from the fact that only thrice did the Motherwell forwards test Greg. Though this was so, all three grades were fraught with danger to the local citadel, and, indeed, on one occasion it had a wonderful escape. Nicol sent over a fast ground shot, and Greig completely missed the ball, which struck the upright and rebounded into play. Not a few were of the opinion that the ball had actually crossed the goal line, but if such was the case the referee did not observe. Apart from these three concussions by the visiting van, Aberdeen monopolised the pressure, and the game was one of rush from start to finish. There were numerous shots and headers which just missed the mark, there were balls luckily intercepted on their way to the net, and there were vigorous tackles by the Motherwell defence. In the closing stages Aberdeen physically risked everything, and made a desperate effort to pull the match from the fire. Many players on both sides were injured, and so thrilling was the play that tension among the spectators was great. Move it must have been a relief to many when the whistle sounded the cessation of what were at that time was still a tease in the full sense of the ward, and Aberdeen retired the most undeserving of losers.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 4th December 1911

Aberdeen Teamsheet
Greig, Colman, Hume, Davidson, Wyllie, Wilson, Soye, McIntosh, Main, Wood, Lennie.
Motherwell Teamsheet
Hampton; Wilson, Kelly; McStey, Buchan, Mair; Nichol, Watson, Gilchrist, Gray, Findlay
Attendance: 8,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Mr. J. S. Muir, Glasgow
Next Match
27 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen