Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 4 - 0 St. Mirren

HT Score: Aberdeen 1 - 0 St. Mirren

Scottish Cup First Round Replay
Aberdeen scorers: Main, Wood, Walker 30, Lennie 51.

10/02/1912 | KO:

Paisley Men's Poor Show

This replayed Scottish Cup tie in the first round, at Aberdeen, attracted 12,000 spectators. The first half was slightly in favour of Aberdeen, whose forwards, however, finished so poorly that it was not until seven minutes from the interval that Walker opened the scoring for the home team. The Paisley defence played up well throughout this half, but their forwards were kept well in hand, and the Aberdeen goalkeeper had few shots to deal with. Starting the second half with their one goal lead, Aberdeen within five minutes had a second goal, Lennie being the scorer. After this St Mirren were a beaten team, and the most of the play was in their half of the field. Main and Wood got the other goals for Aberdeen, who won on their merits by four goals to nothing.

Source: The Scotsman, 12th February 1912

There was no holding in of Aberdeen in the delayed Scottish cup first round with Saint Mirren at Pittodrie, and their 4-0 victory reflected their superiority. About 14,000 witnessed a game, which was contested under quite favourable conditions, although the ground was a trifle soft. Only in the first period and did the Paisley team seriously challenge Aberdeen's entry into the second round of the competition, and even then their apparent the quality was due more to the ineffectiveness of the Aberdeen forwards at close quarters and to any real merit of their own. Not until the game had been well advanced to the Aberdeen forwards show anything approaching first class tactics, but once they settled down the visitors' defence got more to do than they could cope with. Aberdeen, if they were never really brilliant, were by far the superior side, and except in the case of goals, where no comparison could be made because of the easy time Greig had, the St Mirren were inferior in every department. For quite a long time their defence sustained Andy fagged are ragged Aberdeen attack, but once Aberdeen got their second goal it was the beginning of the end for Saint Mirren.


The game was fully 30 minutes old before Lennie crossed, and Walker opened the scoring within unsavable shot, after several likely chances have been lost. Saint Mirren played pluckily, and yet except on one occasion they were never unlucky in not scoring. The solitary instance was when Husband got past the Aberdeen right defence and was cutting into goal when he fell in the penalty area after collision with Hannah. The visitors confidently appealed for a penalty kick, but the referee unhesitatingly declared in Aberdeen's favour. After that, hard though they strove, Saint Mirren were never the same side, and even Husband will, who was their best forward, fell away. Aberdeen's solitary goal lead at the interval was well deserved, and none could have denied them had they crossed over with a stronger advantage.


Only 6 minutes of the second half had gone when Lennie put Aberdeen two ahead, after delightfully clever work by Soye, who crossed, and a fine piece of strategy by Maine, who feinted to head the ball, but allowed it to go to Lennie, who had only Duncan to beat, a piece of work which he accomplished at the second attempt. The home forwards were a transformed lot after this, and, playing confidently, they continually harried the visitors' defence. At times the play was of the robust order, and in consequence of this several players on both sides sustained hurts, but after attention were able to continue. A third goal came to Aberdeen, Main netting after a brilliant try by Soye. The ball was skied in the visitors goalmouth, and Soye, catching it on the drop, drove first time with a terrific force. The ball rebounded off Duncan, and going to Main, that player piloted it past Duncan. Except for a few spasmodic bursts and a clever save by Greig, with Magner in attendance, played ruled entirely in favour of Aberdeen, and just on the call of time Wood added a fourth goal, after Walker had forced a corner and Soye had placed finely from the flag kick. During the last few minutes Saint Mirren played one short, Riddell having strained his leg, and had to retire. Aberdeen's was a convincing victory, and is well deserved as the score indicates.


All the side played well. Hannah, at right back, made a capable substitute for Colman, and kicked strongly, as did Hume. Wyllie was the star half-back, is destructive play being a feature of the game. Forward Soye was best, with Wood a good second. All did well in the later period, and against the tactics adopted by Saint Mirren acquitted themselves well.
On the losers' side Duncan played finely in goal, and saved his team from a greater defeat. Reid was the better back, if he did not always part two advantage. Duff, at centre-half, was the outstanding player on the side, and was the motive power both in defence and attack. Husband was easily the best forward, and the much talked of Magner was so well attended by Wyllie that he was never in the picture.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 12th February 1912

Aberdeen Teamsheet
Greig, Hannah, Hume, Davidson, Wyllie, Wilson, Soye, Walker, Main, Wood, Lennie.
St. Mirren Teamsheet
Duncan; Reid, E H Riddell; McDonald, Duff, Weir; S. Callaghan, Kyle, Magner, Milne, Husband
Attendance: 14,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Mr. J. Lyons, Hamilton
Next Match
Queen of the South
13 Jul 2024 / 17:15 / Palmerston Park, Dumfries