Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Burnley 3 - 1 Aberdeen

HT Score: Burnley 1 - 1 Aberdeen

Europa League Second Preliminary Round Second Leg
AET. (1-1 after 90 mins)
Burnley scorers: Wood 6, Cork 101, Barnes (pen) 114
Aberdeen scorers: Ferguson 27.

02/08/2018 | KO: 19:45

Fergie Overhead Not Enough as Dons Exit in ET

Aberdeen Manager Derek McInnes made one change with Andrew Considine having recovered from his concussion and coming into the starting XI. Dom Ball took a place on the bench. An incredible Dons support welcomed the two sides onto the field on a very warm evening in Lancashire.

The opening period was as expected very frenetic with little pattern to the play. But then in the fifth minute Aberdeen lost possession from a throw in. A simple long ball then saw Wood get in between McKenna and Lewis. Although the keeper did enough to put the striker off, Wood had enough composure to step inside before firing the ball high into the net past McKenna and Devlin on the goal line.
It was the worst possible start.
On 10 minutes McGinn put over a swinging cross but Lindegaard made an easy interception. A minute later Mackay-Steven made room for a shot after cutting inside but his low shot was deflected away by skipper Ben Mee. Aberdeen then enjoyed a decent little spell as they slowly tried to get a foothold in the game.
After 16 minutes Gudmundsson put over a dangerous cross on the left but Hoban was well position at the near post to clear. On 20 minutes Considine swung over a cross which was flicked on by Cosgrove and the ball found its way through to GMS. He had a great shooting chance but after taking a touch he was closed down quickly and the ball defected behind for a corner. The Dons wasted the set piece though as the ball drifted straight out of play.
On 24 minutes Aaron Lennon should have been booked for a poor attempt at a dive inside the area. Two minutes later Considine put McGinn down the line and the winger was in behind the defence. He had time to look up but there was no one there and the slight delay allowed a defender to block the cross at the expense of another corner. The ball in from GMS was cleared by Shinnie found the wide man again and this time the dangerous ball over wasn't cleared by Burnley and fell to Lewis Ferguson who produced an incredible first time overhead kick to send the ball sailing into the net. What a goal!

On the half hour mark Lennon made a dangerous run into the box. His ball over was not cleared convincing by Logan but thankfully Considine and Hoban managed to combine to scramble the ball to safety. Then a half chance for the visitors when Shinnie picked the ball up about 30 yards out but his through ball was not read by Cosgrove.
The atmosphere had completely changed around the ground, all you could here were the Red Army now.
Aberdeen then enjoyed another good spell. McGinn flashed over a cross and then when the ball came back over from the other side, Considine rose well but could not direct his header on target.
Burnley were really struggling to get anything going and Aberdeen were now stopping anything from getting forward from the midfield. After such a nervous start, they had completely turned this game around.
Wood and McKenna then clashed with the referee awarding a free kick against the Burnley man when he was one on one at the back. The home fans were not happy.
In the final minute of the half Lindegaard was forced to tip a Shinnie drive round the post. At full stretch it was a fine save. The Dons then caused problems with a couple of corners to finish the half well on top.

Half time Burnley 1 Aberdeen 1

The first chance in extra time, substitute Taylor, who had just come on, his cross was met by Gudmundsson but Considine tracked his run to the near post and made a great block. There was a worrying moment in the fifth minute of extra time when Lewis was impeded by Barnes and required treatment. But thankfully the keeper, who had already made three outstanding stops, was able to continue.
In the 100th minute Cosgrove's race was over and was replaced by Stevie May. Big Sam had another top performance and had worked tirelessly on his own up front.
Four minutes before half time in extra time Burnley regained the lead, The ball was well worked to Taylor and his cross picked out Jack Cork who headed home. The goal came out of nothing but if the Dons could score, they would still be in the driving seat.
Two minutes before the break Stevie May delivered a good free kick which the Burnley defence managed to clear but they did not look convincing.
At half time Aberdeen were still in the game but did they have any energy left? As a fourth sub was now allowed Chris Forrester came on to make his Aberdeen debut.
In the first minute of the second period of extra time May had another opportunity to put over a dangerous ball but Burnley were able to clear their lines. From the resulting throw in Dom Ball put over a low cross, across the six yard box, but May could not get a touch. With ten minutes to go Wright, who was looking bright, played over an early cross and Forrester got a touch but the ball was just a bit too strong for him.
With seven minutes to go McKenna was penalised for handball inside the area and the home side had a penalty. It was a very harsh decision as the ball hit him from very close range. Ashley Barnes tucked it away despite Lewis going the right way.
It was very harsh on Aberdeen who had given everything over the two legs. The team will now regroup for the League opener against Rangers at Pittodrie on Sunday.
Thank you to the Red Army who travelled to Lancashire for the match and safe travels home.

Full time: Burnley 3-1 Aberdeen (AET)

Burnley Teamsheet
Burnley: Lindegaard, Lowton, Tarkowski, Mee, Ward (Taylor 91), Lennon (McNeill 86), Cork, Westwood (Hedrick 105), Gudmundsson, Vokes, Wood (Barnes 45). Subs: Legzdins, Taylor, Hedrick, Bardsley, Long

Bookings:  Gudmundsson 71,   Lowton 85,  
Aberdeen Teamsheet
Lewis, Logan, Shinnie, Considine, McKenna, McGinn (Wright 81), Mackay-Steven, Cosgrove (May 100), Devlin, Ferguson (Forrester 105), Hoban (Ball 88).

Unused Subs: Gleeson, Campbell, Cerny.

Bookings:  Shinnie (70),  Considine (76).
Attendance: 17,404
Venue: Turf Moor, Burnley
Referee: Massimiliano Irrati, Italy
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride