Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 3 - 0 Partick Thistle

HT Score: Aberdeen 3 - 0 Partick Thistle

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Beynon 32, Armstrong 34, Armstrong 36.

22/12/1934 | KO: 14:15


Dons Win Easily But Lack Thrust at Goal.,/p> Except for an occasional burst, and a plucky rally in the closing minutes, Partick Thistle were never in the hunt at Pittodrie. It was a disappointing Firhill team, a team that had lost much of the virility which characterised its play against the Dons in the opening match of the season at Glasgow.

Aberdeen won as easily as the score indicates. In fact, had the forwards displayed more thrust at close quarters the Dons might have doubled their total.
It was during five hectic minutes in the first half that the Pittodrie men did the damage. The opening goal was something in the nature of a "gift." It arrived in the thirty-second minute.
Aberdeen attacked on the left, and a misunderstanding between Cumming and Johnstone saw the back flick the ball over the keeper's head, and Benyon dashed in to boot it into an empty goal.
Before the Thistle could recover from this blow Armstrong brought down an Adam lob and flashed the ball into the net. Two minutes later came the third and best goal of the match. Armstrong took a Ritchie Smith pass on the turn, and volleyed the ball past the helpless Johnstone.

Weak at Close Quarters.

The Dons held a big territorial advantage, and both before and after the scoring of the goals they should have counted. The forwards, well supported by the middlemen, played smart football in the outfield, but they seemed to lose confidence at close quarters.
It must be admitted, however, that luck was with the Glasgow men on more than one occasion. Early in the first period Cumming cleared the line from Ritchie Smith, after Johnstone had pushed a try by the left-winger against the crossbar. Then in the second half the Firhill keeper was lucky to be in line with a terrific Mills drive.
Smith in the Aberdeen goal had little to do except clear loose balls or long-range efforts. His only save of note was in the closing stages, when he had to dive to the post to save a Ness try.
Some Idea of Aberdeen's superiority may be gained from the fact that even when Thomson, who received a head injury in collision with Ballantyne, was off the field and the team had to be rearranged when he resumed outside-right, the Dons were still on top.

Defence's Easy Time.

The home defence had a comparatively easy time. Cooper, at right-back, was a polished defender, tackling confidently and carrying the ball upfield in fine style.
McGill experienced difficulty in checking Ness, but latterly more than held his own.
Aberdeen held an advantage over their rivals at half-back. Fraser, who combined defence with attack judiciously, was the most stylish intermediate man afield.
Thomson was seen at his best in defence, although he sent along smart passes at times.
If Saturday's display was any criterion, Aberdeen need not be worried about a reserve centre-half.
Gavin, who deputised for Falloon, gave a fine display. For the most part, he confined himself to the third back game, but it was seldom that he found it necessary to kick into touch, and many of his clearances reached the forwards.
Mills was the most skilful home attacker, opening up the play in fine style. He had a stuffy little partner in Ritchie Smith, who was ever in the thick of the fray.

Dashing Leader.

Armstrong was a dashing leader, and took his goals well. Donnelly found it a difficult to keep a grip of the Dons leader.
Adam worked hard but did little of note, while Beynon, on the extreme, was as fast ever, but has been seen to better advantage.
Johnstone, in the Thistle goal, had no chance with the shots that beat him, and Cumming, although he received a knock in the early stages, was Partick's stoutest defender.
Hugh Baigrie, the former Woodside half-back, took the honours in this department of the Thistle eleven. He was a rugged defender and tried hard, to get his forwards moving.
Ness and Regan, the two wingers, were clever. With more support the right winger would have been very dangerous, but Regan was inclined to individualism. Ballantyne was clever on the ball, but failed to find a chink in the Dons defensive armour. The Jags lacked a general.

Source: Press & Journal, 24th December 1934

Partick Thistle Teamsheet
Johnstone; Calderwood and Cumming; Baigrie, Donnelly, and M'Lcod; Ness, Miller, G. Wyllie, Ballantyne, and Regan
Attendance: 8,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride