Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Dunfermline Athletic 1 - 1 Aberdeen

HT Score: Dunfermline Athletic 1 - 1 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Dunfermline Athletic scorers: McGowan 15
Aberdeen scorers: Armstrong 20.

02/01/1935 | KO:


Smith Brilliantly Saves a Penalty.

Never will the Dons have to fight harder for a point than they did at Dunfermline yesterday. The Athletic were a desperate company, and maintained a terrific pace from the first to the final whistle.

The Fifers held a territorial advantage, and in the first half especially, when the Pittodrie defence was inclined to be shaky, they should have scored more than once.
The heavy ground and the greasy ball made conditions difficult, and had an adverse effect on the Dons, several of whom were evidently feeling the strain of Tuesday's gruelling match with Dundee at Pittodrie.

Bustling Tactics.

The Aberdeen men were never given time to settle. The Dunfermline defenders did not stand on ceremony. They tackled ruthlessly and lashed the ball upfield to their forwards. The attackers crashed into the Aberdeen defence without fear or favour, and the Pittodrie rearguard was obviously upset by their opponents' bustling tactics.
Things did not look any too promising for the Dons when McGill needlessly conceded a penalty by handling a Boag cross in twelve minutes. Smith, however, saved Warden's spot kick brilliantly.
The goal was only shortly delayed, for in fifteen minutes Murray and McGowan broke through and the centre found the net.
The Aberdeen attack worked with cohesion and understanding when it got going, and in twenty minutes Conwell flicked a clearance forward with his head, for Armstrong to beat Warden and dash on to flash the ball into the net.

Chances Missed.

With a little more steadiness in front of goal the Fifers could have had the game well won during this period.

They continued to hold the balance of play in the second half, but the Aberdeen defence had tightened up, and in their breakaways the Dons looked as likely to score as the Athletic.
Dunfermline are a go-ahead team, lacking a trifle in combined effort, perhaps, but if yesterday's form is any criterion they should soon leave the foot of the table.
The determined onslaughts of the Fifers had the Aberdeen defence badly rattled in the first half, but fortunately they improved after the interval.
Smith in goal had several smart saves, but none better than when he dived to the right to keep Warden's penalty kick from entering the net.
Cooper was the more Impressive back, and both he and McGill got plenty to do. The left back failed to get a grip of Boag in the first half, when the right winger was ever dangerous, but after the interval he gave Boag little rope.

Fraser Impresses.

Fraser took the honours at half-back. He has never played a harder game. Plastered from head to foot in mud, he tore into the opposition with refreshing vigour.
Thomson was little behind his captain, while Gavin, who came in for the injured Falloon, strove hard but not always successfully to keep the dashing and dangerous McGowan in subjection.
The Aberdeen attack has been seen to better advantage. In an effort to add "ginger," Conwell and Smith (R.) changed places in the second half.
The former East End winger was as tricky and troublesome to the Dunfermline defence as he was against Dundee. He and Beynon gave the Athletic left flank plenty of trouble when they got going.
Armstrong was a tireless leader, but he did not receive the best of support. Mills was only a shadow of the Mills we saw against Dundee. He was leg-weary after the strenuous games against Falkirk and Dundee.

Conwell a Trier.

Conwell tried hard, but did not meet with much success. It is difficult to forgive him for shooting past after Armstrong had drawn the defence and slipped the ball out the left wing in the second half.
What Steele had to do in the Dunfermline goal he did well. Johnman was the steadier and more polished defender, Warden being on the slow side.
Crawford was a sound pivot, and along with Bolt lent the forwards much valuable assistance.
Chalmers was the cleverest and most enterprising of the forwards. He carried the ball along nicely and distributed it with discretion. Boag, the diminutive right winger, was clever on the ball and made ground smartly, but his crosses were not always accurate. McGowan led the line smartly.

Source: Press & Journal, 3rd January 1935

Dunfermline Athletic Teamsheet
Steele; Johnman, Warden; Bolt, Crawford, McFarlane; Boag, Thomson, McGowan, Chalmers, Murray
Attendance: 7,000
Venue: East End Park, Dunfermline
Referee: W. G. Holburn, Glasgow
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride