Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 5 - 1 Motherwell

HT Score: Aberdeen 2 - 1 Motherwell

Premier Division
Aberdeen scorers: McLeish 36, McMaster 38, McGhee 52, Black 67, Cooper 71.
Motherwell scorers: Rafferty 10

08/02/1983 | KO: 19:30


Motherwell were pressed back right away as Aberdeen eagerly attacked and almost scored after 9 minutes when Dougie Bell's shot from Peter Weir's corner struck the post. A minute later the Dons were staggered when the Fir Parkers took the lead, Rafferty driving home a low shot. An Eric Black header was cleared from the line by Edvaldsson as Aberdeen laid siege to the Motherwell goal. Walker saved well from Bell and John McMaster. Weir was causing havoc with some forceful running and accurate crosses, to the delight of the 13,000 freezing fans. 'Well were not fussy how they dealt with the incessant Dons' attacks and Carson was booked for a dreadful tackle on Black. Walker was again Motherwell's saviour when he touched a Stuart Kennedy shot round the post as the siege continued. Aberdeen eventually equalised after 36 minutes when Mark McGhee's back-heeler was swept home by Alex McLeish. Just 2 minutes later McGhee laid a magnificent pass to McMaster who hit a majestic goal from 30 yards out.

A dreadful mix-up in the Motherwell defence enabled Aberdeen to increase their lead. The goalkeeper and Flavell had a breakdown in communications and Weir nipped in between them to square the ball to the unmarked McGhee, who scored easily. Five minutes later Andy Watson replaced Weir. Motherwell mounted some pressure but Willie Miller and his fellow defenders appeared unperturbed. O'Hara did manage a shot which went wide of the goal. It was all over for Motherwell in 67 minutes when the Dons scored a fourth goal. Stuart Kennedy slipped the ball to Black who steered it past Walker. Neale Cooper, who had replaced Black just after his goal, got his name on the scoresheet 4 minutes later when he tapped home a McGhee cross. Rafferty almost scored his second goal with a strong volley but the game finished with the Dons missing several chances to increase their lead over the relegation-threatened Fir Parkers. The rampant Dons were now only one point behind league leaders Celtic and had suffered only one defeat in their last 23 matches.

Source: Match Programme, 30th October 1991

Programme dated Saturday 5th February.
The scoreline does not tell the whole story as the visitors held the lead for more than a third of the game. The Aberdeen aces finally got their act together and began to take a trick or two. There were 13,000 spectators on a cold evening with snow on the pitch.

Motherwell, skippered for the night by former Don, Andy Dornan, were penned back immediately as Aberdeen pressed, but it took a smart interception by John McMaster to stop a long O'Hara pass from setting the flying McClair free. Next, Jim Leighton was very watchful on the hard ground as he flopped to stop a long-range shot from O'Hara. A Peter Weir corner was head-flicked on by Eric Black to Douglas Bell, whose shot rattled the post, as the Dons retaliated. In 10 minutes Aberdeen were staggered to find themselves a goal behind. A Flavell free kick was touched on by Harrow for Rafferty to smash a 12 yarder low into the comer of the net. Aberdeen were stung into action and Black's header from a Weir cross looked netbound until Edvaldsson popped up to head clear. Walker was now the busiest player on the field as the Dons laid siege to his goal. He clutched an awkward, bobbing grounder from Doug Bell and then distinguished himself by lifting a dangerous Weir cross cleanly off McMaster's head. There were no frills from the visitors and they were "taking no prisoners". Black in particular was suffering from some close attention. Inevitably Walker came to the rescue again when he diverted a Stuart Kennedy shot round the post. The Motherwell defence was finally breached in 36 minutes when McMaster's free kick was cutely back-heeled by Mark McGhee into the path of Alex McLeish, who swept the ball home. Goal number two arrived 2 minutes later when McGhee worked his way clear on the right and laid on a perfect pass for McMaster to net from 30 yards ? a beauty.

A dreadful mix-up by Motherwell gave the Dons a 3-1 lead in 52 minutes. Walker tried a short pass to Flavell and, before he could control it, Weir intercepted to give McGhee an easy tap-in from a few yards out. Andy Watson then came on for Weir as Aberdeen continued to hold the upper hand. Motherwell had the occasional foray upheld and O'Hara had a shot which went wide. It was all over for the visitors in 67 minutes when goal number four arrived. Kennedy found a space on the right and crossed. He recovered to gather the clearance and slip the ball to Black who steered it past the bewildered Walker. Neale Cooper, who had replaced Black just after his goal, got his name on the scoresheet in 71 minutes when he tapped home a McGhee cross after the alert striker had bamboozled the Motherwell defence out on the left.
It had been a game of contrasts with an undistinguished display by the home side until the 36th minute. After that the Dandy Dons had a Beano!

Source: Match Programme, 25th February 1995

Aberdeen Teamsheet
Leighton, Kennedy, Rougvie, McMaster, McLeish, Miller, Black (Cooper 68), Simpson, McGhee, Bell, Weir (Watson 57).
Motherwell Teamsheet
Walker, Flavell, Dornan, Carson, Edvaldsson, Forbes (Coyne 80), McClair, Rafferty, Harrow, Mauchlen, O'Hara

Bookings:  Carson 24
Attendance: 13,300
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: J. R. S. Renton, Cowdenbeath
Next Match
20 Apr 2024 / 15:00 / Hampden Park, Glasgow