Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 2 - 3 Dundee

HT Score: Aberdeen 2 - 1 Dundee

East Scotland League
Aberdeen scorers: Low, McAulay.
Dundee scorers: Brand, Brand, Bell

12/03/1904 | KO:

Aberdeen and Dundee at Pittodrie.

The "tit-bit" of the Aberdeen football season came off on Saturday, when the above teams met at Pittodrie in an Eastern League Fixture. The weather was perfect, and the ground, although perhaps a trifle soft, had been nicely rolled, and looked in grand trim. With the conditions so favourable, all that was wanted was a good game, and it is pleasing to relate that this was served up by both teams. The visitors won the toss, and Mackie set the game going by kicking off towards the city. McAulay and Johnstone got the ball, and at this early stage showed that they were in great form. Time and again they took the ball down the wing, but weak play by Mackie, in centre, lost one or two chances which might have been put to better account. On one occasion, however, the pivot put in a grand shot, which Muir, with a great effort, turned aside although Shinner was, as usual in such cases, in close attendance. The Whites, by their strong go-ahead play, completely knocked the visitors off their game. Shinner and the left wing had some good tries for the opening goal, but Muir was always on the alert. Strong back play by Jeffray put the Dundonians front rank on their way to Barrett, who had to negotiate a difficult try from the right wing. McAulay kept up the pressure on the home goal by forcing a corner off J. Mackie, at back, and from this the blues opened the scoring. The ball landed in front of Barrett, and one of the home team badly missed, and in a second Brand had the sphere in the net.

Cheered on by the home crowd the Whites at once made tracks for Muir, but they found a resolute defence. At length, however, McAulay got the ball, and after eluding two opponents shot hard and fast into the net thus equalising matters. Johnstone raced away on the extreme left shortly after the kick off, and landed in a rattling shot, which caught the foot of the post, and rebounded into play. A foul was granted to the Aberdeen against Kerr for tripping. J. Mackie took the kick and sent the ball well into the Dundee goal, where a scrimmage took place, and from which Low scored. The visiting team, especially Muir, appealed against the point for offside, but the referee would not hear of it. Half-time arrived with the home team holding a well deserved lead of a goal.

On resuming, after a short interval, it was seen that the visitors were bent on equalising, if not even taking the lead. It was the homesters, however, who were the first to prove dangerous - Shinner having one or two good tries for goal. Johnstone, too, was proving a good man in this respect, and kept Muir on the alert. Low had to leave the field owing to an accident, but soon resumed, seeming none the worse. Fifteen minutes from time the Whites still held their one goal lead, but all at once the game took a sudden change. In less than five minutes the visitors had not only equalised, but put on the leading point, and thus won the match in the closing minutes. Weak back play by Hannah was the cause of both points being scored, and it was indeed hard lines for the Aberdeen to admit defeat when a draw would have been a fairer ending to a very hard game.

Points from Pittodrie

Although the crowd was a large one, yet if both teams had been fully represented, the gate would have been a good bit larger. Still £140 is very good indeed.
We were glad to notice the ground in such fine condition, and trust the roller will be more often in use in future.
The game all through was of a much higher class than we usually see in Aberdeen, and goes to prove the general opinion that the Whites play a much better game when opposed to a better team.
Considering the interest that Dundee has taken in Aberdeen football, and the good they have done for the game here, we think that the crowd showed themselves far from being a sportsmanlike one. When the visitors scored not a cheer was heard, in fact anyone who might have done so would have risked a lot. He certainly would have stood a good chance of being mobbed.
Muir, in goal for the Blues, upheld his great reputation. His coolness in times of trouble and danger was delightful to watch.
Jeffray was the better of the two backs. He has still a fondness for using his weight.
This is quite legitimate, provided it is done fair and above board. From what we saw Jeffray did not break this rule.
His partner, Darrock, had a difficult wing to hold, and was kept lively during the ninety minutes. His returns were sure and well timed.
Murphy was the outstanding player in the half-line, Boyle being slightly off form, and McDiarmid somewhat lazy at times.

The front rank was a very mixed one, and this was caused no doubt by the inclusion of three reserves.
Bell showed good speed, and put in some splendid centres.
McAulay was a dead failure at outside left, and clean off as regards shooting.
Brand had two goals.
In the home goal, Barrett played a grand game and saved many a good shot. He certainly could not be blamed for the defeat.
Mackie, at back, played excellently he has done nothing better this season.
In Hannah, the Aberdeen have secured a back who is badly in need of training. At a later stage of the game he tired perceptibly, with the result that the Dundee easily secured their last two goals.
The three halfs, Sangster, Strang, and Low, played a hard and good game. We were glad to notice the recovery to form of the centre half.

Shinner; McAulay, and Johnstone, were the pick of the forwards. We cannot remember a time when any of the above played a better game. The left wing, especially, was a treat to witness, and showed wonderful form against such opponents.
Mackie, in the centre, was off colour. He might try and not face his own goal so often during the game.
McKay's failure cannot be understood, except perhaps that he was playing against old friends. That Aberdeen were unlucky to lose no one will deny, and if they had even won the match this would not have been a large stroke of luck. Great things are therefore expected against. Montrose.
Mr. Baillie, Edinburgh, was, as expected, a very capable referee. It is very funny to hear the remarks of some critics against the referee. By their talk they show that their knowledge of football is small.


Source: Bon-Accord March 17, 1904

Fully 5000 spectators passed the gates of Pittodrie on Saturday to witness the game between Aberdeen and Dundee in an East of Scotland League fixture. The meeting of these rivals was looked forward to by local followers of the game with great interest. The match, however, lost little of its all-absorbing interest owing to the fact that neither Aberdeen nor Dundee would be at full strength. The weather was ideal for the game, but the pitch was somewhat soft. The players lined up as follows:- Aberdeen: Barrett; Mackie, Hannah; Sangster, Strang, Low; Skinner, Mackay, Mackie, McAulay, Johnstone. Dundee: Muir; Darroch, Jeffrey; Boyle, Murphy, McDiarmid; Bell, Brand, Kerr, Horne, McAuley. Mr. Baillie, Edinburgh, was referee.

Dundee won the toss and elected to play towards the sea with a mild breeze at their backs. Right from the kick-off the Aberdeen players set to work in the most whole-hearted fashion, and forced the pace in a way that mildly surprised the Dundonians, and made them act on the defensive for about ten minutes. In this early spell of pressure by Aberdeen, Muir had to handle twice after his backs were beaten. The thorn in the flesh of the Dundee defence was the manoeuvring of McAulay and Johnstone, whose tricky play kept the Dundee right half back and back on the tenterhooks. A long drawn out ?Ah? from the crowd followed a low shot sent in with terrific force by Johnstone, a shot which Muir had difficulty in stopping not an inch on the inside of the right goalpost. After this narrow escape the visitors wakened up a bit and kept the play confined to midfield, interest being maintained by occasional runs and counter runs. Play on both sides was rugged, but Aberdeen were having the best of the exchanges, and even in the first fifteen minutes were fully deserving of a goal. In such circumstances, it was just Aberdeen?s luck that their goal should be first to fall. From one of their very occasional swoops to the Links end, Dundee forced a corner. MCauley took the kick, and the ball dropped into a cluster of players in the Aberdeen goalmouth, where, in the scrimmage, it was lifted lightly under the crossbar by Brand. It was a very soft shot, and but for Barrett not seeing the ball the scrimmage, it would have been easily fisted out by him. Dundee?s goal was as lucky as it was undeserved on play. Disappointed, but not dismayed, the Whites returned to the charge, and had several swoops on the Dundee lines, showing pretty touches of short passing, but always finishing badly, either through over-anxiety or because of the close attentions and sturdy defence of the Dundee half-backs and backs. Especially exciting was a brilliant single-handed run by Johnstone, who, out-sprinting an opponent, raced along the touchline and shot on the run. He had no time to steady himself, and the shot proved a very tender morsel for Muir. Well plied with the ball, probably to the detriment of the other wing, McAulay and Johnstone continued to keep the enthusiasm at a high pitch. Their tricky play, by which they fooled the defence over and over again, was loudly cheered. On the other wing, Shinner finished a dashing run by a beautiful cross pass, but neither centre not the inside men were up in time to receive it. Although the Dundee defence was getting plenty of work, their forwards were not idle, and getting the ball from the repulse of the Aberdeen attack, paid frequent visits to the other end, and after beating the Aberdeen half-backs and backs, tried Barrett several times. Barrett was equal to all shots sent in to him, and was cheered for neat and effective saving. Aberdeen worked hard for their equaliser, and at last it came. Macaulay, accepting a splendid pass from Shinner, dribbled round several opponents, and shooting from twenty yards out, clean beat Muir. It was a good goal, well worked for, and should have come earlier. The equaliser put a spur into Dundee, for they now played with greater dash and vigour, although not with the finish that might be expected from First Division players. When subjected to a sustained attack the Aberdeen defence was somewhat shaky, the backs, in particular, doing a lot of clumsy things, and after a mistimed rush or miskick being often slow in recovery. The Dundee pressure was not fruitful of result, and in a short time the Whites were again the attackers. The Dundee defence, however, withstood the pressure. At this stage Sangster was conspicuous for hard work, which was tinged with a fault ? he wandered too much. Shinner, although at times he muddled badly when tackled, several times caught the eye, his dashes along the wing and accurate crosses looking dangerous for Dundee. He once got within short range, but was given offside, and, besides, his parting shot was yards too high. After Dundee had had a visit to the other end, the ball came back to McAulay, who cleverly dribbled past three Dundee men in succession, only to shoot wide. The Whites were working for another goal, and it was not long in coming. From a foul almost on the penalty line, Mackie placed the ball well in. It came out to Henry Low, who shot straight and true and beat Muir. Shortly after, the whistle blew half-time.
This was Aberdeen?s half. The Whites did most of the running, and being quite as smart on the ball as their opponents, had the best of the play, which during quite two thirds of the 45 minutes was confined to the Dundee end of the field.

As the pace had been hotter for the Aberdeen by reason of their endeavours in the first half, it was thought that the pressure would come from the other side in the second half, but great was the delight of the crowd when the Whites again went on the attack hammer and tongs, and forced Dundee to the defensive. Shinner was the first to distinguish himself. He darted up the wing with the ball at his foot, and two Dundee men at his heels. Without attempting to steady himself when so closely pressed, he swung at the ball and foozled, recovered, pounced again on the ball, and cleverly sent in an oblique shot, the angle of which completely deceived Muir. Luckily for the Dundee goalkeeper, the line of the angle was a foot or more off his right goalpost. Johnstone was a second too late in coming up, or he might have improved on Shinner's brilliant effort. Aberdeen continued to press the Dundee defence hard. Bell created a diversion by dashing off with the ball on Dundee's right, but he shot wide. A few minutes later Johnstone got clear at the other end, but he overran the ball and lost a fine chance. The ball did not go far, however, and Charlie Mackie getting it with only Muir in front of him had about equal chances of scoring a goal and being ruled offside. The latter event happened. On both sides the half-backs worked hard, Strang especially shining. Aberdeen continued to keep the upper hand. Muir caught the eye with a display of fancy goalkeeping in which he tricked tow of the eager Aberdeen forwards in an amusing way. The, helped by a foul, Dundee got away to the other end, where they made the hair on the heads of the Aberdeen supporters stand on end. Horne, with the ball at his foot, and an open goal six feet in front of him let blaze, and ingloriously missed the ball. He didn?t get a second chance. McDiarmid?s exhibitions did not always come off, and were never profitable. After a spell of end to end play Johnstone tested Muir with a fast low shot, but the Dundee custodian had all his wits about him, and cleared with ease. A foul on the penalty line gave Dundee another chance, but Barrett closely attended by two opponents, cleared brilliantly. An exciting moment followed in front of Muir, and overhead shot from McAulay causing the trouble. The attack was repulsed, and the boot was soon on the other foot, a puzzling shot from Bell causing the Aberdeen custodian considerable trouble. He got the ball, but fell with it at the feet of two Dundee forwards. All looked over, until one of the backs rushed in and punted the ball out. Low at this stage had his nose badly injured, and left the field for 10 minutes. He was loudly cheered on returning; and he did not return a moment too soon, for the Dundonians, realising the nearness of defeat, lashed the ball about in a most determined fashion. McAulay again gave Muir a hot one to hold. Play was very exciting in the last ten minutes, and a tinge of roughness crept in. From end to end the ball went. Muir saved from Johnstone, and play was transferred to the other end, where Dundee pressed their attack home, a misunderstanding between the Aberdeen backs letting Brand in, when that player equalised somewhat easily. This, with only five minutes to go, was decidedly hard on Aberdeen. But worse was still to come. Bell brought up the ball in rattling style, and crossed to McAuley, who headed in, and missed by inches. The Dundee forwards hung around Barrett, and the ball being returned, it fell at the feet of two of them, who had nobody to beat but Barrett. Both ran to play the ball, and both were flagrantly offside. The crowd shouted ?offside.? Bell shot, and Barrett, appealing for offside, made a feeble effort to save. The referee, strange to say, allowed the point, which won the match for Dundee. It was a bitter pill for the Aberdeen players and crowd to swallow, but they did it with commendable grace, considering the effect of the blunder. In the last minute Shinner raised the dying hopes of the crowd by the way he took the ball up the field, but it came to nothing. The last incident in a fast and exciting game was Barrett?s negotiation of a shot from Kerr, the whistle blowing with the score ? Dundee, 3; Aberdeen, 2.
Aberdeen ahd the best of the game all through, and scored two splendid goals. Dundee had all the luck, and score three very soft goals, one of which ought to have been disallowed for offside.

Source: Aberdeen Journal, 14th March 1904

Dundee Teamsheet
Muir; Darroch, Jeffrey; Boyle, Murphy, McDiarmid; Bell, Brand, Kerr, Horne, McAuley
Attendance: 5,600
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Mr. Baillie, Edinburgh
Next Match
27 Apr 2024 / 15:00 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen