Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Kilmarnock 2 - 1 Aberdeen

HT Score: Kilmarnock 1 - 0 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Edgar.

30/12/1905 | KO:

About four thousand spectators witnessed the return between the above clubs at Kilmarnock on Saturday. In the first half there was little between the teams, both goals being regularly visited, but owing to the ground being hard and frosty the players slipped badly, and lost many good opportunities for scoring. Towards the interval Graham evaded the visiting backs, and, passing to Maxwell, the latter scored for Kilmarnock. Aberdeen were the better side all through the second half. Numerous chances to score were presented, but they failed miserably, while at times they had hard lines. Edgar got a well merited equaliser a few minutes from time but from the kick-off Graham again gave his side the lead, and Kilmarnock were lucky to win by two goals to one.

Source: The Scotsman

After their long journey of the previous night, the Aberdeen a representation turned out at Rugby Park on Saturday in fine condition to meet Kilmarnock in a return fixture for Scottish League points. There was a good turnout of spectators when Mr. R. T. Murray, Stenhousemuir, whistled the teams out as follows:-
Aberdeen: Macfarlane; Boyle, Gault; W. Low, strang, Robertson; Robertson, Edgar, H. Low, McAulay, Lennie.
Kilmarnock: Monteith; Duncan, Aitken; Fullarton Shaw, McDonald; Maxwell, Fairfoull, Graham, Young, Brown. One

The preliminaries were favourable to Aberdeen, and the home pivot kicked off, facing a clearing sun, which promised to be disconcerting. The Aberdeen backs were called upon to defend for a time during the opening stages, and so strenuous was their attack that only a mere accident saved the situation, a find swift shot from Fairfoull rebounding from Young's sturdy frame. This little accident had an awakening effect upon the strangers, and the venue having been smartly changed, McAulay and Lennie had pot shots at the Killie goal. Although the ground forwards returned to the attack they made no impression, and Aberdeen once more took up the running, McAulay getting away, and forcing the local custodian to concede a corner which, however, proved fruitless. The front ranks on both sides worked with admirable unity, and it was only the fine defensive opposition at either end which met the attack that prevented early scoring. This order of things prevailed for a considerable spell, and Kilmarnock were the first to break the tension. The home pivot initiated an invasion of Aberdeen Territory, which brought out the first point of the game. Graham cooperated well with his wings all the way down, and finally punted to the right-hand man, who finished the run with a brilliant shot, which completely beat Macfarlane. The lead had a disappointing effect on the play of the black and gold brigade, who seemed suddenly to have lost all judgement, with the result that erratic shooting was introduced, and lost them more than one opportunity of drawing level.

On turning round, the visitors looked as if they had recovered their balance in some measure, although not altogether. They swarmed round the home citadel in dangerous fashion, and when the back division left Low with a clear goal in front of him, a howl of dismay ascended from the audience, but only to be changed to one of delight when the Aberdeen man bungled miserably. The northerners were at this moment all over the homesters, and a long spell of play in front of Monteith promised that the equaliser was not far off. The anticipations of the crowd, however, were not realised, and for a short time the tables were completely turned by the Kilmarnock centre half, who got off from the opposition, and conveyed his respects to Macfarlane, who found the greeting rather warm to be comfortable, well MacDonald on the left also tested the custodian with a stiff punt. Time was drawing dangerously near to a close, and when Edgar got the better of Monteith, the home crowd were quite reconciled to a draw, there being only a minute and a half to go. Not so the players, however, for the sphere was no sooner placed in position and the pivot went off on the trot by himself, and had the leather behind Macfarlane. The game all over might have been worth and draw, but the unfavourable result for Aberdeen is certainly no criterion of the play that ruled.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 1st January 1906

Kilmarnock Teamsheet
Monteith; Duncan, Aitken; Fullarton (Rugby Eleven), Shaw, McDonald; Maxwell, Fairfoull, Graham, Young, Brown
Attendance: 3,000
Venue: Rugby Park, Kilmarnock
Referee: Mr. R. T. Murray, Stenhousemuir
Next Match
06 Dec 2023 / 19:45 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen