Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 4 - 2 St. Mirren

HT Score: Aberdeen 2 - 1 St. Mirren

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Edgar, Lennie, Haxton, Lennie.
St. Mirren scorers: Anderson, Anderson

08/09/1906 | KO:

At Aberdeen before 5000. Aberdeen started strongly, but St Mirren opened the scoring with a soft shot which Macfarlane ought to have saved. Then Edgar equalised, and Lennie put on a second goal before crossing over. Aberdeen again delighted the home crowd by their forcing tactics, and when Haxton scored a third, and Lennie a fourth point, their enthusiasm was unbounded. St Mirren gor a second goal just before time. Result:- Aberdeen, four goals; St Mirren, two.

Source: The Scotsman, 10-09-1906

A crowd of between 5000 and 6000 enthusiasts assembled at Pittodrie Park to witness the game between Aberdeen and Saint Mirren for Scottish League points. The Paisley team came north with an unbeaten League record, while Aberdeen were pointless. An attraction was the reappearance of Rab Macfarlane in goal for Aberdeen. There was a stiff fish breeze, and a strong sun. Teams:-
Aberdeen: Macfarlane; Boyle, Gault; Halkett, Strang, W. Low; Ford, Edgar, H. Low, Haxton, Lennie.
Saint Mirren: Rae; Jackson, Crawford; Greenless, Robertson, McAvoy; Hamilton, Mclean, Wyllie, Hill, Anderson.
Referee - Mr. D. Turnbull.

Aberdeen were lucky to win the toss, and played towards the sea, with the sun and the wind at their backs, two great factors in the game. Play was fast from the start, a return by Gault from a St Mirren raid carrying the ball to the east end, where Rae made a lucky save on the ground from a low shot by Edgar. The Saints early adopted the game of kick and follow. Aberdeen with the wind endeavouring to combine on the wings. Sturdy play and huge punting by the Paisley backs, and a tendency on the part of all the players to send the ball into touch, prevented the teams settling down into sustained combined effort, and the game degenerated into a series of rushes and counter rushes, with hot scrimmages in front of goal, a style of play in which the St Mirren backs were more at their ease than the Aberdeen pair. Early in the game the St Mirren goal had several narrow escapes, notably from a shot by Henry Low, which shaved one of the posts. Again, a finely timed cross from Ford was accepted by Henry Low, who, dashing in on Rae, deftly turned the ball towards goal with his instep, Rae holding it just as the whistle blew giving Low offside. At this stage Aberdeen's outfield work was good. Henry Low attempted to take the feet from Rae when the St Mirren custodian was negotiating a hot shot from Haxton, and the free kick brought relief to the visitors. A clever run by Lennie next raised a cheer, which was dampened by Henry Low shooting over. In this way the game waged, with Aberdeen applying almost constant pressure, varied by occasional flying visits to the other end by the St Mirren forwards. Jackson was always in the thick of the fray, his judgement and sure and strong kicking being a feature of the game. A shot by Strang almost opened the scoring, Rae turning the ball round the post, and giving away a corner, so severely was he tried. Although Aberdeen were doing nearly all the pressing, it was the other side that started the goal-getting. Anderson, slipping the ball past Boyle, and beating the slow Aberdeen right back on the run, sprinted off with a clear field. Now was the time of Macfarlane's trial. Anderson shot fast and low for goal. Down on one knee dropped Rab, with his arms extended as if in an attitude of supplication right in the line of the approaching ball, which was shot from about 15 yards out. The ball darted over Macfarlane's outstretched hands, rebounded over his shoulder, and when the goalkeeper looked round it was in the net. For a few minutes Aberdeen appeared to be staggered by this undeserved reverse, but they soon got to work again, and a hot time ensued in front of the St Mirren goal, Aberdeen forcing two corners in succession, Rae brilliantly saving on one occasion with a crowd of Aberdeen players around him. The equaliser came after repeated attempts by the Aberdeen half-backs and forwards. A weak kick-out by Rae, worried at the moment by Low, was picked up by Edgar, who simply walked the ball into the net, brushing the goalkeeper aside. Wilfred Low, with a drive from well out, almost gave Aberdeen the lead, Rae, taken by surprise, having enough to do to clear. The next incident of note was what many spectators believed to be a goal for Aberdeen, but which, by the referee's decision, proved to be a narrow escape for St Mirren. Edgar, cleverly outwitting McAvoy, passed to Ford, who crossed to Low. Rae rushed out of his goal, and Low kicked gently over his head into the empty goal, and the Aberdeen centre forward and the Paisley goalkeeper fell together. The ball was dropping slowly under the St Mirren crossbar - indeed, many though in had passed under the bar - when Crawford, running back, kicked out. A minute later Ford, picking up a cross from Lennie, struck the near upright with a rocket shot. Aberdeen got their second goal luckily. Low drove hard in, and the return crossed in front of Lennie, who shot with terrific force, the ball striking off the upright and past Rae into the net. Then Haxton sent in a long shot, which Rae held and nothing more. Shortly after the Aberdeen goal narrowly escaped downfall. Almost on the goal line, Gault, closely pressed by Hamilton, was slow in taking an overhead kick, and the St Mirren outside right smartly took advantage of this weakness, the ball being driven across the Aberdeen goalmouth where MAcfarlane got it, but allowed it to slip through his fingers. Before Wyllie got in, however, Rab scraped the ball away to Boyle, who made siccar with a big kick. Both goalkeepers were several times called upon, but at half-time the score was - Aberdeen, 2; St Mirren, 1.

Play in the second half was even less attractive than in the first portion, as it consisted mainly of big kicking by the backs and half-backs, headlong rushes after the ball, which travelled fast before the wind, and was erratic in its flight against it, and a monotonous succession of touches and byes. The ball was mostly in Aberdeen territory owing to the wind. Jackson and Crawford kicked strongly, but with little judgement, so did the Paisley half-backs, the result being that the St Mirren forwards got less of the ball than they might. There was hardly a piece of clever play, until near the close, when Macfarlane's brilliant goalkeeping excited admiration. Halkett was the most outstanding man on the field, his cool, brainy play contrasting strongly with the movements of the other half-backs. Henry Low, whose failure at centre forward in respect of keeping the wings supplied with the ball is more marked every week, came near to putting Aberdeen two up. He rushed through between the Saints' backs and shot with terrific force, but a trifle wide. ST Mirren were doing most of the pressing, but it was Aberdeen that scored. A foul was given against St Mirren about midfield. Boyle took the kick, and placed to the left. Haxton followed up, brushed Jackson aside by sheer weight, and, dribbling for some distance, finished with a hard drive for goal, the ball finishing in the net, Rae having no chance to save. Nothing daunted, St Mirren forced play to the other end, where Hamilton, running in from the wing, shot hard for the off top corner of the net. Macfarlane sprang from one side of his goal to the other, and, with a tremendous effort, tipped the ball over from under the bar, giving away a corner. It was a brilliant save, and was frantically cheered by the crowd. An exciting scrimmage in the Aberdeen goal followed, Boyle and Gault working like demons. The ball bobbed about, and McLean was about to head through when Macfarlane, with a whoop, sprang over the heads of a group of players, and fisted out strongly with both hands, falling backwards into the net in attempting to regain his footing. On a visit to the St Mirren end, Haxton was moving along in fine style when he was tackled. He slipped the ball out to his partner. Lennie was brought down by unfair means, but from the free kick granted he had his revenge. Gault took the kick, and placed accurately to Lennie, who sprinted in and scored a fine goal with a fast, low shot which completely beat Rae. Three goals up, the Aberdeen players seemed content, and the backs indulged in kicking out, which did not improve the sporting nature of the game. Towards the close the Saints pressed desperately, and Macfarlane was repeatedly cheered, his saves being characterised by coolness and deliberateness. At last, about five minutes from time, he was beaten. A high shot from far out he cleared with difficulty, just getting his fingers on it under the bar. The ball went to Anderson, who netted with a fast shot at short range. St Mirren looked like scoring again. Boyle was hurt and carried off, but returned almost immediately to take part in a desperate defence against a strenuous attack. Macfarlane saved twice, being in such a tight corner that he had to throw the ball behind to get rid of it. When the whistle blew the score was - Aberdeen, 4; St Mirren, 2. Gate, £150, stands £10.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 10th September 1906

Is it the Turning Point?

It has taken three weeks for Aberdeen to find their legs and win points and the question asked at Pittodrie on Saturday was - Is this the turning point? There was a decided improvement in the front line as far as shooting went, but steadiness in front of goal is still required. The mode of play adopted by the St Mirren may have had a considerable to do in spoiling well-meant endeavours on the part of the Aberdeen forwards, but they will require to learn to checkmate this. Everybody was satisfied that they had their money's worth out of the players on Saturday, though there were faults to be found individually.

Rab's Re-appearance.

Our old friend must have felt happy with himself when he stepped between the posts on Saturday. His reception was flattering and showed clearly that his popularity with the crowd is not diminished no matter what differences may have existed between him and the management over terms. On the announcement being made public that he had signed for Aberdeen there was a general feeling that his presence in the team would restore that confidence which had been lacking for a few reeks, and so it proved to be, for his shout made the players aware of danger they had not taken into account. We hope he will be between the sticks for many a day.

The Saints Beaten.

So far as they had gone this season St. Mirren appeared at Pittodrie undefeated. That they were after the full points was clearly evident when they came north on Friday night, so as to give their players a good rest to fit them for the ordeal. Tom Strang began well by winning the toss, and the way they started gave their supporters ah inkling that some special training had been indulged in. Henry Low was conspicuous with a fast drive, making Rae's hands tingle, and a minute later he missed by inches. Lennie crossed a lovely shot which went outside the the far post, showing that the shooting at any rate had got nearer the mark than hitherto. Anderson now got away. Evading Halket, he had only Gault to meet, who rather clumsily trapped the ball and sent well down the field. Aberdeen kept on the pressure, the Saints having difficulty in shaking them off. When 20 minutes had gone a surprise came. Aberdeen spectators had been shouting themselves hoarse for a goal, but they little thought the Saints would open the account. Anderson got clear away, with Hall following, the latter shooting straight at Macfarlane, who let the ball travel right up over his shoulder. This success on the part of the Saints was received with absolute quietness. A few minutes later when Edgar equalised, you might have heard the shouts miles away. Shortly before crossing Lennie tricked Greenlees and then Crawford, and beat Rae, putting Aberdeen on the lead. The second half was not so interesting. With the wind the Saints kept the ball too much in the air, and there was a lot of useless headwork. Before anything of not occurred the period was almost half through, when Haxton to ur mind, cleverly fastened on, and landed a difficult shot it the net. Lennie was not done, for the shouts of Haxton's success had hardly died away when the dapper left winger had another goal scored. Scrappy play followed, and just before time Anderson scored a soft shot which either Gault or Macfarlane could have saved. Aberdeen thus won a hard game by 4 goals to 2.

The Plavers

The Saints were not so well served by their forwards as we have seen them. They kept tne ball too high to be of service to them on such a day. Anderson was most prominent in the line, closely followed by Hamilton. The halves and backs played very well, and has a great amount of work to get through, while Rae was beaten with every shot, without having the slightest chance to save. Aberdeen's front line shot hard and often, and it paid in the long run. Edgar gave Ford plenty to do, and Haxton backed up Lennie well. The halves were very much better this week, but Boyle played poorly all through. Macfarlane ought to have had a clean sheet, but the want of practice may have been gainst him.

Chatty Bits.

We were glad to see Wilfred Low's return to form. He was a success on Saturday against Hamilton, and held the flier well.
The St. Mirren's officials were very much taken aback at the form shown by Aberdeen. They were disappointed at getting their colours lowered at Aberdeen, as they came through determined to win the points.
Boyle was the weakest man on the Aberdeen side. He will have to buck up, with so many understudies waiting a chance.
The bad twist which Gault received on Saturday kept him out of the team on Monday.
Halket was the artist in the half-back line on Saturday. What a lot of hard work he put in.
While "Rab" let in two soft ones, we cannot overlook the fact that he kept out a lot of splendid shots. He looked a bit rusty after his long rest, but we expect to see him play many great games before the season draws to an end.
The young men - perhaps old ones too - who write letters to the papers, must feel very small over Saturday's result.
Nothing like persistence and perseverance to command success, and evidently that is Aberdeen's motto.
Notwithstanding all the outcry the gate came to over £160 - not bad for a team going "rocky."
The A's did very well at Dens Park, and ought to have won. Perhaps they will do so this week.
The half-back line had to be remodelled, Davidson going on at left half, and Robertson on at right. The latter played very well, but was just inclined to be too far back for a half.
Dundonians evidently don't patronise their Reserves very well. There was only some £38 of a gate. It will be double that at Pittodrie or we are very much mistaken.
Lawrie was selected to play in the centre on Monday, but turned up late.
Owing to an injury to his foot at Dundee, McKinley was unable to play against Falkirk.
"Gowie" Robertson was not in his usual during the first half, but warmed up in the second.
It was John James Simpson's first Senior League game, and from the way he played we don't think it will be his last.
Simpson, the Falkirk right-winger, is a flier. He put in a lot of good runs in the first period, which went a-begging.
It is a long time now since Aberdeen secured 6 goals in one match. This is an awakening! If this form be maintained the spectators will soon become proud of their team.
That look of anxiety which has been worrying the Aberdeen directors' faces since the season began is gradually disappearing. They are evidently not yet satisfied that all is as it should be, and we understand are still on the outlook for a good centre.
McWhinnie, who played on Monday showed he could play, but was badly in want of training.
It was reported at the time that Haxton was a good goal getter. The pity is that he was not brought into the team sooner.
Gault got a bad burst on Saturday which prevented him playing against Falkirk.
A little more experience in the way of tackling and Urquhart will be a fine back. His height comes in very handy to him at times.

Source: Bon-Accord, 13th September 1906

Aberdeen Teamsheet
MacFarlane, Boyle, Gault, Halkett, Strang, Low, Ford, Edgar, Low, Haxton, Lennie.
St. Mirren Teamsheet
Rae; Jackson, Crawford; Greenless, Robertson, McAvoy; Hamilton, Mclean, Wyllie, Hill, Anderson
Attendance: 5,500
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Mr. D. Turnbull
Next Match
03 Dec 2023 / 15:00 / Easter Road, Edinburgh