Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 1 - 0 Dundee

HT Score: Aberdeen 1 - 0 Dundee

League Cup Second Round
Aberdeen scorers: Mackie 17.

23/08/2011 | KO: 19:45

Dundee Dumped By Darren

Aberdeen defeated Dundee in the League Cup at Pittodrie, but the Dons, who started brightly, were made to work hard for the win in the end. A single Darren Mackie strike early in the first half was enough to ensure the Dons went into the draw for the third round.

Aberdeen boss Craig Brown made 4 changes from the side that recorded their first win of the season against Inverness at the weekend. Out went David Gonzalez, Youl Mawene, Scott Vernon and Rob Milsom- replaced in the starting line up by Jason Brown, Peter Pawlett and Darren Mackie while Chris Clark made his first start since returning to Pittodrie. Algerian U23 international captain Mohamed Chalali, who signed for the club earlier in the day, started on the bench.

Aberdeen began the game brightly- passing the ball about well and won the games first corner inside 5 minutes. Kari Arnason blasted his header over the bar from Fraser Fyvie's corner. Peter Pawlett was next to threaten for the Dons in a lively opening spell when he broke into the Dundee box but no one was there to collect his cross.

In 8 minutes Ryan Jack unleashed a powerful drive after a superb interchange with Josh Magennis but the ball went just past the target. 3 minutes later, Darren Mackie was fed through by Fyvie but his curling shot went just wide of Rob Douglas' right hand post.

It wasn't long until the Dons did take the lead though thanks to some fantastic wing play from Pawlett who passed to Clark and when he found MACKIE, the striker hammered the ball past Douglas to give the Dons a deserved lead.

Not long after, the Dons had their next effort on goal when Arnason hit a fantastic shot which Douglas had to look smart to save.

Jason Brown had his first taste of action after 19 minutes when Graham Bayne tried a speculative effort from just outside the box but the keeper held comfortably.

Magennis and Mackie were looking dangerous every time they got on the ball and in 22 minutes the Northern Irishman set up his fellow forward once again but the ball went just wide of the left hand post.

Pawlett created yet another chance on 24 minutes but his dangerous cross was well defended by the Dundee defence who cleared for a corner.

Dundee soon created their best opening of the game when Nicky Riley had a speculative effort but a deflection took the ball out for the Dark Blues' first corner.

A Mackie flick on resulted in yet another chance for the Dons- Magennis firing high and wide under pressure from Craig McKeowen, who did well to avert any danger.

By now Dundee were beginning to get themselves back into the game and an excellent run down the left wing by Ryan Conroy resulted in Brown having to save the resultant shot from Riley.

Dundee claims for a penalty were denied when Ryan Jack tangled with Riley in the box but referee McKendrick waived the pleas away from the travelling support that had travelled up to the Granite City in great numbers.

Aberdeen responded with another crisp passing movement- Chris Clark with the eventual cross and Magennis' header went close.

There was concern for Aberdeen just before half time when Kari Arnason went down injured but with only a few minutes to go until the half time interval no substitution was made.

HT 1-0

The first action of the second half saw Chris Clark booked for a challenge and the resultant free kick failed to trouble anyone in the box and drifted out aimlessly for a goal kick.

There was a blow for the Dons in the 48th minute when Kari Arnason, had to be replaced following his first half injury. Youl Mawene came on to replace him in central defence. And not long after the Dons suffered another injury blow when Chris Clark had to be replaced by Mohamed Chalali. It was however a chance for the Dons fans to see the Algerian U23 international make his debut for the club- a bit sooner than he and boss Craig Brown had maybe anticipated.

Dundee were beginning to gain more and more possession however there were more Dons penalty appeals waived away in 62 minutes when Darren Mackie was obstructed in the box but no foul was given.

The Dons were then denied a second goal after Foster's fine break down the left set up Peter Pawlett whose drive was saved by Douglas. On the rebound Foster blasted the ball into the back of the net but the assistant flagged for offside much to the delight of the travelling support and despair of the Red Army.

Ryan Jack, who had a superb game all evening at right back, had to be alert on 66 minutes when he put in a great header to thwart the Dundee attack once again.

Dundee continued to go in search of an equaliser but the Dons stood firm, with Brown only having to make a couple of saves in order to keep the Dons ahead.

Debutant Chalali looked odds on to score in 76 minutes but he lost his footing at the vital moment, however, just moments later he fed Foster through on goal but his shot was just wide of the Dundee goal.

The Dark Blues' Steven Milne was booked when he went in with his boots raised on Dons keeper Brown- the referee deeming the yellow card sufficient on that occasion. And Brown was called back into action with 8 minutes remaining when he had to parry a shot from Milne as the visitors pressed for an equaliser that would have taken the tie into extra time. Fraser Fyvie made way for Rory McArdle on 83 minutes, Jack moving into midfield and McArdle taking his place at Right Back.

In injury time Chalali broke into the box and he gratefully accepted the corner kick off the defender as the Dons tried to run down the clock and see the game out. And it was Chalali who had the final chance of the game- a dipping volley from just outside the box which took a deflection on its way but referee McKendrick blew for full time before it could be taken.

Aberdeen Teamsheet
Brown, Jack, Arnason (Mawéné 47), Considine, Foster, Clark (Chalali 59), Osbourne, Fyvie (McArdle 83), Pawlett, Magennis, Mackie.

Unused Subs: Gonzalez, Vernon.

Bookings:  Clark (46).
Dundee Teamsheet
Robert Douglas, Gary Irvine, Craig McKeown, Rhys Weston, Matthew Lockwood, Nicholas Riley, Stephen O'Donnell, Ross Chisholm, Ryan Conroy, Graham Bayne (Jake Hyde 70), Steven Milne. Unused Subs: John Gibson, Jamie McCluskey, Neil McGregor, Leighton Mcintosh.

Bookings:  Craig McKeown 18,   Steven Milne 80.
Attendance: 5,722
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: John McKendrick
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride