Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Hibernian 3 - 0 Aberdeen

HT Score: Hibernian 0 - 0 Aberdeen

Scottish Premiership
Hibernian scorers: Boyle 52, Boyle 68, Kamberi 74

07/12/2019 | KO: 15:00

Disappointing afternoon for The Dons in the Capital

It was a desperately disappointing afternoon for the Dons in the capital as they were blown away by an Hibernian blitz across 23 second half minutes at Easter Road.

Following the Dons' epic fightback against Rangers to seal a 2-2 draw at Pittodrie on Wednesday night, Derek McInnes named an unchanged starting XI and bench for the trip to Easter Road.

For this battle between the third and sixth placed teams in the table, Hibs made two changes after losing 2-1 at Ross County on Wednesday. They traded goalkeepers, Marciano replacing Maxwell, Mallan also coming in for Slivka in midfield.

The Dons were almost behind three minutes in Ash Taylor clearing brilliantly in front of Doidge in the six yard box, but a miscue from Scott McKenna from the clearance put the ball straight at Boyle's feet, Joe Lewis saving his effort superbly low to his left.

Lewis Ferguson responded with a 25 yarder at the other end two minutes later, but his drive was well wide of the far post as the ball flashed across the box. Sam Cosgrove was closer to goal in the ninth minute, taking advantage of a lucky bounce that allowed him to drive into the box, Marciano saving well to his left at the near post.

The Dons might have edged in front in the 19th minute too, the ball reaching Andy Considine on the left and he drilled a dangerous cross through the six yard box, nobody there to apply a finishing touch. Shay Logan then tried an ambitious drive from fully 30 yards but sadly, it didn't trouble Marciano.

It was a very open, end to end game, entertaining enough for the crowd, but the final ball from both sides was lacking, the blustery wind not helping any.

A long clearance from Taylor in the 32nd minute set James Wilson away. He advanced into the box before trying to bend a shot across goal and into the far corner. Marciano saved well at full stretch but his parry bounced back towards Cosgrove. His first time poke at goal was well blocked as the Dons threatened again.

Ferguson found his way into the book in the 43rd minute for a foul on Mallan, one of several first half challenges which had been penalized by the referee. It's fair to say that the whistler was not endearing himself to the Red Army with some harsh decisions throughout the goalless half.


The hosts were the first to threaten after the break, Allan doing well to create space for Kamberi but his 48th minute drive from a tight angle flashed across goal and away to safety.

Hibs were ahead in the 51st minute though, Allan collecting the ball in the centre circle after a misunderstanding between Cosgrove and Zak Vyner and threading a precise pass along the deck and through the Dons defence, Boyle darting on to it, skipping around the advancing Lewis and rolling the ball into an empty net.

Boyle was nearly in again after another fine move started by an Allan pass, McKenna making a crucial block in the 57th minute. Seconds later, a full blooded Naismith drive was plucked out of the air by Lewis as Hibs had their tails up.

Just past the hour, Ferguson tried another effort from range, comfortably saved by Marciano, but at least it was evidence that the Dons were settling to the game again. The Dons then made a triple change in the 64th minute, Derek McInnes taking drastic action to try to change things, introducing Curtis Main, Ryan Hedges and Dean Campbell in place of Logan, Wilson and Vyner.

With the Dons penning Hibs in, suddenly the hosts broke free in the 68th minute, the pace of Boyle deadly again, collecting from Kamberi, advancing into the area and screwing a shot across the face of goal and just inside the far post. It was from bad to worse a minute later, Hedges booked for simulation in the opposition penalty area. Hibs then immediately replaced Hallberg with Slivka.

The game was up in the 74th minute but in fairness, it was a fine goal from Hibs. Kamberi picked it up out wide on the left, then drifted inside, slaloming past three challenges. He might have scuffed his shot a bit, but it was enough to trundle the ball inside the near post for 3-0. Boyle then made way for Jackson.

The afternoon was summed up in the 84th minute when the ball fell to Cosgrove eight yards out but just as he looked certain to score, Porteous came in with a crunching tackle to win the ball. Hibs then made their third change, Kamberi coming off for Shaw.

Cosgrove almost found a consolation in the 89th minute, getting his head on the end of a Leigh cross, Marciano flopping down onto it on his goal line to ensure the hosts kept their clean sheet.

Conditions: Rainy

N.B.Niall McGinn was replaced on the bench at the last minute by Bruce Anderson.
Hibernian Teamsheet
Marciano, Hanlon (c), Doidge, Boyle (Jackson 76), Mallan, Stevenson, Hallberg (Slivka 70), Naismith, Kamberi, Allan, Porteous

Unused Substitutes: Maxwell, Horgan, James, Shaw, Murray
Aberdeen Teamsheet
Lewis, Logan (Campbell 65), Taylor, McKenna, Considine, Leigh, Vyner (Main 65), Ferguson, Gallagher, Wilson (Hedges 65), Cosgrove.

Unused Subs: Devlin, McLennan, Anderson, Cerny.

Bookings:  Ferguson (43),  Hedges (70).
Attendance: 16,767
Venue: Easter Road, Edinburgh
Referee: Colin Steven
Next Match
Queen of the South
13 Jul 2024 / 17:15 / Palmerston Park, Dumfries