Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 3 - 1 Hibernian

HT Score: Aberdeen 0 - 1 Hibernian

Scottish Premiership
Aberdeen scorers: Jackson (OG) 64, Considine 66, Main 82.
Hibernian scorers: Doidge 39

07/03/2020 | KO: 15:00

Dons enjoy some home comforts after another strong comeback

A strong second half showing from Aberdeen saw them dismantle Hibs' 10 men to come from behind to win comprehensively, ensuring they stay in the thick of the race for European qualification.
After Aberdeen's 2-2 draw at Kilmarnock on Wednesday, Derek McInnes made just the one change to his starting XI, Michael Devlin moving to the bench and making way for the return of Dylan


McGeouch as the Dons went with a back three. Dean Campbell also returned to the bench after being suspended in midweek.

Jack Ross made two changes to his Hibs side after they lost 3-1 to Hearts in the Edinburgh derby at Easter Road on Tuesday night. Marc McNulty was unavailable through suspension while Stephane Omeonga dropped to the bench, Steven Whittaker and Jamie Gullan replacing them, Gullan's first start for the Hibees.

Aberdeen were the first to threaten, McGeouch picking a nice pass inside to Niall McGinn in the area. His low cross was just behind Curtis Main who tried to fashion a backheel goalwards, the ball skidding across the face of the box. Gullan then had the visitors' first crack at goal in the fifth minute, a low 25 yarder that had Lewis down sharply to his left to save.

Lewis had to make a better save a minute later, Doidge darting in at the back post to get on the end of a deep McGinn cross, the skipper scrambling across goal to shovel the ball to safety just inside the post. It was a frenetic start to the fixture, the most open game we'd seen at Pittodrie in some time.

Good play between Matty Kennedy and Funso Ojo set Lewis Ferguson away in the 15th minute, racing deep into Hibs territory, but he didn't get enough on a 20 yarder to test Marciano. Ferguson was in with a chance again a minute later, Connor McLennan charging down the right and picking out Ferguson in the box, the midfielder trying to turn the ball round the corner and in, but being defeated by the angle.

Kennedy was inches away from finding the net in the 18th minute, stretching to get on the end of a McGinn cross but nudging it just wide - the offside flag was already up in any case. Gullan got a good break of the ball on halfway a minute later before charging goalwards, Lewis quickly off his line to make a very sharp save, forcing the striker to take his shot earlier than he would have wanted.

The Dons had the game's first corner in the 26th minute, a short corner routine that found Ferguson's head, the ball blocked away, allowing Hibs to get on the counter, McGeouch chasing back with Boyle to find a perfectly timed tackle in the penalty area to deny him.

McGeouch found some quality in the opposite direction a minute later, releasing Kennedy with a nicely weighted pass. His cross was half cleared, McLennan coming onto it, but his effort from the edge of the box was off target. On the half hour, McLennan was in his more usual role down the right, doing well to get a cross in, Main unable to get a clean contact on an acrobatic effort.

A dangerous corner from McGinn in the 35th minute almost drifted straight into the net, Marciano, flapping at it to push the ball over. Two minutes later, Aberdeen carved out their best chance, McLennan driving to the byline and drilling in a good, low cross, Main onto it at the near post with a deft touch, Marciano clutching the ball low down.

On 39 minutes though, the Dons were behind, Allan threading a good ball through to Doidge from around the centre circle. Doidge looked to have taken the ball too wide but managed to drag the ball across goal and into the far corner from a tight angle as the Aberdeen defence appealed in vain for an offside flag ? Doidge did look suspiciously in advance of the back line as the ball was played. TV footage seemed to back this up.

Hibs' Whittaker became the first to go in the book a minute later for barging into Ferguson. The referee got that one right, but then missed Docherty rugby tackling Ferguson to the ground in the Hibs box in the 41st minute, a blatant penalty. The near side linesman had a good view of the incident but kept his flag down. It did look a stonewall penalty on first viewing.

There was another very good shout for a penalty two minutes later at a Dons corner, Andrew Considine shoved to the floor by McGinn. Aberdeen were having no luck with the decisions, the whistler incurring more wrath from the home supporton the brink of the interval, penalising McLennan for barely making contact with a Hibs defender.


The second half started scrappily as the wind began to pick up and swirl around Pittodrie, the rain starting to fall too.

Things livened up in the 55th minute though, a hack from Whittaker on Ferguson earning him his second yellow card of the afternoon, Whittaker walking towards the tunnel before the referee even had time to get his cards out. Hibs reacted by bringing on Hallberg in place of Gullan.

The Dons were almost on terms on the hour, good feet from Kennedy creating space to bend in a cross from the left, the ball eluding everyone and drifting inches past the far post. Bruce Anderson joined the action a couple of minutes later, replacing Shay Logan as the Dons threw caution to the wind in the search for an equaliser.

They hosts were back on terms on the 64th minute, a horrible slice from Jackson turning the ball past his own goalkeeper at the near post as McGinn speared in a dangerous looking cross with Aberdeen really looking to increase the tempo.

Ferguson was in the wars again in the 65th minute, dragged over by Hallberg who was punished with a yellow card. A minute later, Aberdeen were in front, McGinn's left wing corner reaching Ferguson at the back post. Marciano managed to get his hand to Lewis' header but Considine was on the spot, poaching from three yards out to turn the rebound over the line. In the aftermath of the goal, Hibs coach John Potter was cautioned by the referee.

Hibs brought on Omeonga in the 69th minute to try to turn the tide, Allan being replaced, Aberdeen introducing Devlin for McLennan after 73 minutes. Anderson almost made it three soon after, chasing onto the end of a long clearance from Lewis, Jackson doing extremely well to get back and make a crucial block in the box as Anderson looked ready to pull the trigger. Hibs took their last throw of the dice with the introduction of Horgan in place of Stevenson in the 82nd minute.

It mattered little, for almost immediately, Aberdeen were 3-1 up. It came from a clever backheel on the right wing from Ferguson that sent McGinn off into the box. His cross reached Anderson.

His first shot was blocked and as he tried to get onto the rebound, he succeeded in nudging the ball across to Main who hit the ball through Marciano on the turn, the goalkeeper not making his finest effort to save.

The Dons took the opportunity to give Ronald Hernández a run out when he replaced McGinn straight after the goal. Main then wasn't far off from grabbing another goal in the 85th minute, a first time strike on the turn flying just over the bar from a tight angle. Hibs' frustration was showing now, McGinn flying into Kennedy and getting a yellow card in the 87th minute, the last meaningful action of the afternoon as the Dons saw out the added time with ease.

Aberdeen Teamsheet
Lewis, Logan (Anderson 62), Taylor, Considine, Ojo, McGeouch, Ferguson, McLennan (Devlin 72), Kennedy, McGinn (Hernandez 84), Main.

Unused Subs: Campbell, Bryson, Hedges, Cerny.
Hibernian Teamsheet
Marciano, McGinn, Jackson, Hanlon, Boyle, Whittaker, Docherty, Stevenson (Horgan 82), Allan (Omeonga 69), Gullan (Hallberg 58), Doidge

Unused Subs: Bogdan, Gray, McGregor, Murray

Bookings:  Whittaker 40,   Whittaker 55,   Hallberg 65,   McGinn 87  Whittaker 55
Attendance: 14,388
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: John Beaton
Next Match
20 Apr 2024 / 15:00 / Hampden Park, Glasgow