Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Hibernian 1 - 0 Aberdeen

HT Score: Hibernian 0 - 0 Aberdeen

Scottish Premiership
Hibernian scorers: Porteous 64

22/12/2021 | KO: 19:45

No festive cheer in the capital

A strong first 45 minutes slipped away into a frustrating second period that saw Aberdeen's three game winning run ended by a single Hibernian goal at Easter Road.

Following the 1-0 win at St Johnstone, there were two changes for the Dons in the capital, with Ross McCrorie suspended and Scott Brown also missing. In came Declan Gallagher and Dean Campbell. Niall McGinn and fit again Calvin Ramsay returned to the bench for Stephen Glass' side.

After tasting defeat in the League Cup final, losing 2-1 to Celtic on Sunday, Hibs made three changes with Jamie Murphy, Lewis Stevenson and Joe Newell missing out, the first two dropping to the bench. Replacing them in Shaun Maloney's first starting XI were Josh Doig, Chris Cadden and Scott Allan.

Both sides took a time to settle on a pitch made greasy by the pouring rain. It was Hibs who started to find their range first, but Aberdeen defended soundly and gradually began to look the more dangerous side when they did get possession.

It was a measure of the early stalemate that it was fully 15 minutes before there was any real goalmouth action, Jay Emmanuel-Thomas bursting through the middle to shoot from 20 yards, his shot deflected wide for a corner that came to nothing.

Ten minutes later, Campbell was inches away from opening the scoring. A free-kick from the Aberdeen left was half cleared but Campbell swooped down on it from fully 25 yards out and saw his shot fly through a crowd of players but swerve just past the post with Macey at full stretch.

Lewis Ferguson followed suit on 27 minutes, fed by Jonny Hayes 20 yards out. His low drive saw Macey scrambling to his right to push the ball behind at the foot of the post.

Hibs' first chance came on 30 minutes, Doig's cutback ballooning up off a deflection for Nisbet, but from six yards out in the centre of the goal, he put his header over the bar, an escape for Aberdeen.

Doyle-Hayes picked up a knock in an innocuous looking challenge on 33 minutes and was replaced by Gogic in the evening's first change.

A goalmouth scramble almost gave the Dons a goal on 38 minutes, Hayes crossing on the run from the left. Emmanuel-Thomas was up at the back post to nod down, Marley Watkins pouncing on the ball at the same time as Hanlon, Macey tidying up the loose ball. Moments later, Gogic went into the book for a late tackle.

Hibs enjoyed some possession late in the half, the Dons having to survive a free kick in the added minute which they did, and the teams went in level at the break. Aberdeen had the better of the first half without really creating too much in the way of clear-cut chances.


Ramsay returned to action for Aberdeen after the break, replacing Emmanuel-Thomas.

Christian Ramirez took a stray boot in the Joe Root area from Porteous on 48 minutes. The referee missed the action, much to Porteous' relief, as otherwise, a card would have been inevitable. Allan could have seen yellow a couple of minutes later too for taking a chunk out of Ferguson, then Gogic completed the hat-trick of Hibernian good fortune after tugging on Campbell's shirt.

Ryan Hedges went on the sprint to close down Macey on 55 minutes and wasn't far away from getting a proper block on the goalkeeper's clearance which could have seen the ball ricocheting anywhere. Allan was replaced by Murphy for Hibs' second change on 59 minutes.

The Dons were behind on 63 minutes, a self inflicted wound that started from a poor free-kick in their own half between Gallagher and Ramsay, possession given away cheaply. That led to two Hibs corners, the second of which was driven in by Boyle, Porteous getting a run on it to power in an unchallenged header. Aberdeen responded with the introduction of Teddy Jenks, replacing Campbell on 68 minutes.

A better spell of possession for the Dons culminated in Ramsay taking a pot shot from 25 yards but Macey had it well covered as the ball curled wide of the target on 73 minutes. Watkins was much closer a minute later, Ramirez digging out a terrific cross to the Welshman, eight yards out at the back post. Macey got across to push the ball wide, but it was a great opportunity for Aberdeen to level things up.

Nisbet was booked on 76 minutes for an off the ball hack on Ferguson, Connor McLennan replacing Watkins in the aftermath. Nisbet was taken off for Doidge in Hibs' third change on 83 minutes. Hedges became the first Aberdeen man to be cautioned for what was adjudged a late challenge as the game entered the final two minutes. Ferguson followed him moments later as he challenged Macey as he tried to clear, summing up the Dons' second half frustration.

Hibernian Teamsheet
Macey, Doig, Hanlon, Porteous, McGinn, Boyle, Nisbet (Doidge 83), Doyle-Hayes (Gogic 34), Allan (Murphy 59), Cadden, Campbell

Unused substitutes: Dabrowski, Wright, Gogic, Scott, Stevenson

Bookings:  Gogic 38,   Nisbet 76
Aberdeen Teamsheet
Lewis, Gallagher, Watkins (McLennan 77), Ramirez, Hedges, Emmanuel-Thomas, Ojo, Hayes, Ferguson, Campbell (Jenks 68), Bates.

Unused Subs: Woods, MacKenzie, McGinn, Samuels.

Bookings:  Hedges (88),  Ferguson (92).
Attendance: 14,314
Venue: Easter Road, Edinburgh
Referee: Alan Muir
Next Match
Queen of the South
13 Jul 2024 / 17:15 / Palmerston Park, Dumfries